1. Concerning Moab. Yahweh the God of Israel, says this: "Woe to Nebo, for it is laid waste. Kiriathaim is captured and disgraced; the fortress is shattered and abased.
2. No more will Moab be praised; men in Heshbon are plotting her downfall: 'Let us put an end to that nation!' You, too, Madmen, will be subdued; behind you stalks the sword.
3. Listen, a cry from Horonaim - a cry of ruin and destruction!
4. Moab is destroyed; her cry is heard as far as Zoar.
5. Her little ones go up the way to Lulith, weeping bitterly as they make the ascent. On the descent to Horonaim the cry of destruction is still heard.
6. Flee, run for your lives, like the wild asses in the desert.
7. Since you trusted in your deeds and riches, you also will be captured. Chemosh will go into exile, together with her priests and officials.
8. Upon every city the destroyer comes, and not a single city escapes. The valley is despoiled, the plain plundered, as Yahweh has declared.
9. Bury Moab for she has perished! Her cities will become desolate, with no inhabitant left.
10. A curse be on him who is lax in performing the work of Yahweh! A curse be on him who holds back his sword from shedding blood!
11. From his youth Moab has lived at ease resting complacently upon lees, never having gone into exile, never having been decanted; so she kept her own flavor as wine, her aroma remained the same.
12. And so the day will come - Yahweh says - when I will send decanters to her. They will empty her flasks and break her jars.
13. Then Moab will be ashamed of Chemosh, as Israel has been ashamed of Bethel, in which they put their trust.
14. How can you say, 'We are heroes and valiant men of war?'
15. Moab will be destroyed, her towns shattered; her finest young men will be slaughtered - it is the King who speaks, whose name is Yahweh Sabaoth.
16. Moab's ruin is near at hand; her downfall comes at top speed.
17. All you her neighbors, mourn for her, all you who knew her well; say, "How the mighty scepter is broken, the glorious rod!"
18. Come down from glory, sit on the parched ground, all you who dwell in Dibon; Moab's destroyer has come against you, he has destroyed your stronghold.
19. Stand by the way and watch closely, you who dwell in Aroer; ask the men who flee, the women who escape, ask them what has happened.
20. Moab is shamed, oh, yes, destroyed; howl and cry out for her. Announce it by the Arnon that Moab is ruined.
21. Judgment has come on the tableland: on Holon, Jahzah and Mephaath,
22. on Dibon, Nebo and Bethdiblathaim,
23. on Kiriathaim, Bethgamul and Bethmeon,
24. on Kerioth and Bozrah, on all the cities of Moab, far and near.
25. The horn of Moab is cut off and her arm broken - it is Yahweh who speaks.
26. Make her drunk! Because she magnified herself against Yahweh, Moab will wallow in her vomit and become a laughingstock in turn.
27. Was not Israel a laughingstock to you? Was she found among thieves, that whenever you speak of her you wag your head?
28. Leave the cities and dwell in the rocky cliffs, O inhabitants of Moab. Learn from the dove that makes its nest out of reach on the edge of a cliff.
29. We have heard of the pride of Moab, of her loftiness and arrogance, of the haughtiness of her heart.
30. Yahweh says: I know her insolence; her words are false, her deeds are vain.
31. And so I wail for Moab; for the whole of Moab I moan; for the men of Kir-heres I mourn.
32. O vineyard of Sibmah, I weep for you more than for Jazer. Your branches spread as far as the sea, all the way to the sea of Jazer. The destroyer has fallen on your harvest and your vintage.
33. Jubilation is at an end in the fruit gardens of Moab; the vintage shout of joy is not heard, for I have drained the wine from the wine vats.
34. The cry of Heshbon and Elealeh is heard as far as Jahaz. From Zoar to Horonaim and Eglathshelishiyah, their lament is heard, for even the waters of Nimrim have become desolate.
35. Yahweh says: I will bring to an end any man in Moab who offers sacrifice on the high place and burns incense to his gods.
36. And that is why my heart, like a flute, sobs for Moab, moans for the men of Kir-heres whose accumulated riches have all perished.
37. Every head is shorn, every beard cut off; gashes are on their hands, sackcloth covers their loins.
38. There is nothing but lamentation on all the housetops and in the public squares of Moab, for I have shattered her like a vessel that no one wants - says Yahweh.
39. What terror has seized Moab, what wailing! Oh, how she has turned back in shame! Moab has become a laughingstock and a horror to her neighbors.
40. For thus says Yahweh: Look, an eagle is swooping down, spreading its wings over Moab.
41. The towns will be captured, the strongholds seized. The heart of Moab's warriors on that day will be like the heart of a woman in travail.
42. Moab will be destroyed as a nation because she defied the Lord.
43. Terror, pit, and snare be upon you, O people of Moab - says Yahweh.
44. He who flees from terror will fall into the pit; he who climbs out of the pit will be caught in the snare; for I will let this happen to Moab in the year of her punishment - says Yahweh.
45. Fugitives stop in the shadow of Heshbon, for a fire has gone from the house of Sihon, burning Moab's skull and her boasters' crown.
46. Woe to you, Moab, people of Chemosh who suffer calamity! Your sons are taken into exile, your daughers into captivity.
47. But in the days to come I will restore the fortunes of Moab - Yahweh declares." The judgment on Moab ends here.