1. My son, if you come forward to serve the Lord, prepare yourself for temptation.
2. Set your heart right and be steadfast, and do not be hasty in time of calamity.
3. Cleave to him and do not depart, that you may be honored at the end of your life.
4. Accept whatever is brought upon you, and in changes that humble you be patient.
5. For gold is tested in the fire, and acceptable men in the furnace of humiliation.
6. Trust in him, and he will help you; make your ways straight, and hope in him.
7. You who fear the Lord, wait for his mercy; and turn not aside, lest you fall.
8. You who fear the Lord, trust in him, and your reward will not fail;
9. you who fear the Lord, hope for good things, for everlasting joy and mercy.
10. Consider the ancient generations and see: who ever trusted in the Lord and was put to shame? Or who ever persevered in the fear of the Lord and was forsaken? Or who ever called upon him and was overlooked?
11. For the Lord is compassionate and merciful; he forgives sins and saves in time of affliction.
12. Woe to timid hearts and to slack hands, and to the sinner who walks along two ways!
13. Woe to the faint heart, for it has no trust! Therefore it will not be sheltered.
14. Woe to you who have lost your endurance! What will you do when the Lord punishes you?
15. Those who fear the Lord will not disobey his words, and those who love him will keep his ways.
16. Those who fear the Lord will seek his approval, and those who love him will be filled with the law.
17. Those who fear the Lord will prepare their hearts, and will humble themselves before him.
18. Let us fall into the hands of the Lord, but not into the hands of men; for as his majesty is, so also is his mercy.