1. Sound the trumpet, sentry! Warn the people of Yahweh because they have broken my covenant and are unfaithful to my Law.
2. They cry to me, "We, Israel, acknowledge you, O God."
3. But Israel rejected what is right and this is why the enemy will hunt them down.
4. Without my approval they set up kings and without my blessing appointed leaders. With their silver and gold they fashioned idols to their own ruin.
5. To me, Samaria, your calf is loathsome and my anger blazes against you. How long will you remain defiled?
6. The calf is yours, Israel, a craftsman has made it; it is not God and will be broken into pieces.
7. As they sow the wind, they will reap the whirlwind. Like the erect ear of corn they will bear no grain and produce no flour, or if they do, foreigners will devour it.
9. Israel lived apart as a wild donkey, but he was eaten up. Now they are among pagans as a worthless object. Ephraim went to Assyria with gifts.
10. Now they have been given up to the nations and I shall gather them. For in no time they have been left with no prophets, or kings, or leaders.
11. Ephraim built many altars but his altars made him more guilty.
12. I wrote out for him the numerous precepts of my Law, but they look on them as coming from foreigners.
13. They offer sacrifices to me because they are those who eat the meat, but Yahweh does not accept their sacrifices for he is mindful of their sin and remembers their wickedness. They will return to Egypt.
14. Israel has forgotten his Maker and built palaces, but I will set fire to their towns and burn their palaces.