1. The word of Yahweh came to me as follows,
2. "Son of man, look towards the mountains of Israel and prophesy against them. Say to them:
3. Mountains of Israel, listen to the word of Yahweh! To the mountains and hills, to the rivers and valleys Yahweh has spoken: I am going to bring the sword against you and destroy your high places.
4. Your altars will become desolate, your incense burners smashed;
5. I will lay your corpses in front of your idols and scatter your bones around your altars.
6. Wherever you live, the towns will be in ruins and the high places desolate, your altars demolished and defiled, your filthy idols smashed and ruined,
7. your incense burners knocked all around you and you will know that I am Yahweh.
8. But I shall spare some of you. They will escape the sword and be scattered among the nations.
9. Your survivors then will remember me among the people where they are exiled, for I shall break the adulterous hearts of those whose eyes lusted after their idols. They will loathe themselves for the evil they committed, for all their abominations.
10. And they will know that I, Yahweh, have not spoken in vain in saying I would inflict this disaster on them."
11. This is what Yahweh said, "Clap your hands, stamp your feet and say: Well done! when the people of Israel are falling by the sword, famine and plague because of their abominations.
12. He who is far away will die of the plague, he who is near will fall by the sword, whoever survives and is spared will die of starvation. Against them I will exhaust my fury.
13. And you will know that I am Yahweh when their people lie slain in the midst of their idols, around their altars, on every high hill, on the mountain tops, under every green tree and spreading oak and wherever they offered fragrant incense to all their idols.
14. I will stretch out my hand against them, I will make their country a desolate wasteland from the desert to Riblah, wherever they live; and they will know that I am Yahweh."