1. Thus the word of the LORD came to me:
2. Son of man, what makes the wood of the vine better than any other wood? That branch among the trees of the forest!
3. Can you use its wood to make anything worthwhile? Can you make even a peg from it, to hang on it any kind of vessel?
4. If you throw it on the fire as fuel and the fire devours both ends and even the middle is scorched, is it still good for anything?
5. Why, even when it was whole it was good for nothing; how much less, when the fire has devoured and scorched it, can it be used for anything!
6. Therefore, thus says the Lord GOD: Like the wood of the vine among the trees of the forest, which I have destined as fuel for the fire, do I make the inhabitants of Jerusalem.
7. I will set my face against them; they have escaped from the fire, but the fire shall devour them. Thus you shall know that I am the LORD, when I turn my face against them.
8. I will make the land a waste, because they have broken faith, says the Lord GOD.