1. The word of Yahweh was addressed to me as follows:
2. Son of man, how is the wood of the vine better than wood from the branch of a forest tree?
3. Is its wood used for making anything? Are pegs on which to hang things made from it?
4. There it is, thrown on the fire for fuel. The fire burns off both ends; the middle is charred; can it be kept for anything now?
5. While it was intact, you could make nothing with it; burned and charred, is it any more useful now?
6. So, the Lord Yahweh says this: As the wood of the vine among the forest trees, which I have thrown on the fire for fuel, so shall I treat the inhabitants of Jerusalem.
7. I shall set my face against them. They have escaped one fire, but fire will devour them yet. And you will know that I am Yahweh, when I set my face against them.
8. I shall reduce the country to a desert, because of their infidelity- declares the Lord Yahweh.