1. For the leader. A psalm of David.
2. Deliver me, LORD, from the wicked; preserve me from the violent,
3. From those who plan evil in their hearts, who stir up conflicts every day,
4. Who sharpen their tongues like serpents, venom of asps upon their lips. Selah
5. Keep me, LORD, from the clutches of the wicked; preserve me from the violent, who plot to trip me up.
6. The arrogant have set a trap for me; villains have spread a net, laid snares for me by the wayside. Selah
7. I say to the LORD: You are my God; listen, LORD, to the words of my prayer.
8. My revered LORD, my strong helper, my helmet on the day of battle.
9. LORD, do not grant the desires of the wicked; do not let their plots succeed. Selah
10. Around me they raise their proud heads; may the mischief they threaten overwhelm them.
11. May God rain burning coals upon them, cast them into the grave never more to rise.
12. Slanderers will not survive on earth; evil will quickly entrap the violent.
13. For I know the LORD will secure justice for the needy, their rights for the poor.
14. Then the just will give thanks to your name; the upright will dwell in your presence.