1. If you do a kindness, know to whom you do it, and you will be thanked for your good deeds.
2. Do good to a godly man, and you will be repaid -- if not by him, certainly by the Most High.
3. No good will come to the man who persists in evil or to him who does not give alms.
4. Give to the godly man, but do not help the sinner.
5. Do good to the humble, but do not give to the ungodly; hold back his bread, and do not give it to him, lest by means of it he subdue you; for you will receive twice as much evil for all the good which you do to him.
6. For the Most High also hates sinners and will inflict punishment on the ungodly.
7. Give to the good man, but do not help the sinner.
8. A friend will not be known in prosperity, nor will an enemy be hidden in adversity.
9. A man's enemies are grieved when he prospers, and in his adversity even his friend will separate from him.
10. Never trust your enemy, for like the rusting of copper, so is his wickedness.
11. Even if he humbles himself and goes about cringing, watch yourself, and be on your guard against him; and you will be to him like one who has polished a mirror, and you will know that it was not hopelessly tarnished.
12. Do not put him next to you, lest he overthrow you and take your place; do not have him sit at your right, lest he try to take your seat of honor, and at last you will realize the truth of my words, and be stung by what I have said.
13. Who will pity a snake charmer bitten by a serpent, or any who go near wild beasts?
14. So no one will pity a man who associates with a sinner and becomes involved in his sins.
15. He will stay with you for a time, but if you falter, he will not stand by you.
16. An enemy will speak sweetly with his lips, but in his mind he will plan to throw you into a pit; an enemy will weep with his eyes, but if he finds an opportunity his thirst for blood will be insatiable.
17. If calamity befalls you, you will find him there ahead of you; and while pretending to help you, he will trip you by the heel;
18. he will shake his head, and clap his hands, and whisper much, and change his expression.