1. This is Yahweh's word that came to the prophet Jeremiah concerning the Philistines before Pharaoh attacked Gaza.
2. Thus says Yahweh: "Look, waters rise from the north; soon they will become a raging flood overflowing the land and all it contains, the towns and their inhabitants. All dwellers in the land will wail
3. at the sound of the hooves of stamping steeds, the rattle of chariots, the rumbling of wheels. Fathers forget their children, as their hands fall limp.
4. The day of ruin has come upon the Philistines; Tyre and Sidon, the last of their allies, are cut off from them. Yahweh is set to destroy the Philistines, the remnant from the coasts of Caphtor.
5. Gaza is shaved bald, Ashkelon has perished. O remnant in the valley, how long will you gash yourselves?
6. O sword of Yahweh, how long before you rest? Return to your scabbard; stop and keep still!
7. But how can it rest, when it is Yahweh who commanded it to attack Ashkelon and the seacoast?"