1. The word of Yahweh came to me in these terms,
2. "Why are you applying this proverb to the land of Israel: 'The fathers have eaten sour grapes and the children's teeth are set on edge'?
3. As I live, word of Yahweh, this proverb will no longer be quoted in Israel.
4. All life is in my hands, the life of the father and the life of the son are mine. The lives of both are in my hands, so the one who sins will die.
5. Imagine a man who is righteous and practices what is just and right.
6. He does not eat in the mountain shrines, or look towards the filthy idols of Israel, does not defile his neighbor's wife, or have intercourse with a woman during her period;
7. he molests no one, pays what he owes, does not steal, gives food to the hungry and clothes to the naked,
8. demands no interest on a loan and doesn't lend for interest, refrains from injustice, practices true justice, man to man,
9. follows my decrees and obeys my laws in acting loyally. Because such a man is truly righteous, he will live, word of Yahweh.
10. But perhaps this man has a son who steals and sheds blood, committing crimes which his father never did.
11. Perhaps the son eats at the mountain shrines, defiles the wife of his neighbor,
12. oppresses the poor and needy, steals, neglects to pay his debts, looks to the idols, does detestable things,
13. demands interest on a loan, even practices usury. Will such a man live? No, he will not! Because he has committed all these abominations he will die: his guilt will fall upon him.
14. But imagine that such a man has in turn a son who does not commit the sins he has seen his father do.
15. He does not eat at the mountain shrines or look to the idols of Israel, does not defile his neighbor's wife,
16. or oppress anyone or ask for a pledge on a loan; does not steal; and gives food to the hungry and clothing to the naked,
17. turns from injustice, exacts no usury or excessive interest, observing my decrees and practicing my laws: such a man shall not die because of his father's sins; no, he will live!
18. His father instead, who practiced extortion and stole from others, will die for his sin, because he did wrong among his people.
19. You may say, 'Why does the son not bear the guilt of his father?' But the son did what was just and right, observing and practicing my decrees; he will live!
20. The person who sins is the one who will die. The son will not be held responsible for the sin of his father and the father will not be responsible for the sin of his son. The righteous deeds of the righteous will be to his credit and the sin of the wicked will be charged against him.
21. If the sinner turns from his sin, observes my decrees and practices what is right and just, he will live, he will not die.
22. None of the sins he committed will be charged against him; he will live as a consequence of his righteous deeds.
23. Do I want the death of the sinner? - word of Yahweh. Do I not rather want him to turn from his ways and live?
24. But if the righteous man turns away from what is good and commits sins as the wicked do, will he live? His righteous deeds will no longer be credited to him, but he will die because of his infidelity and his sins.
25. But you say: Yahweh's way is not just! Why, Israel! Is my position wrong? Is it not rather that yours is wrong?
26. If the righteous man dies after turning from his righteous deeds and sinning, he dies because of his sins.
27. And if the wicked man does what is good and right, after turning from the sins he committed, he will save his life.
28. He will live and not die, because he has opened his eyes and turned from the sins he had committed.
29. But you, Israel, say: Yahweh's way is not just! Is my position not just? Is it not rather yours that is wrong?
30. That is why I will judge you, Israel, each one according to his ways, word of Yahweh. Come back, turn away from your offenses, that you may not deserve punishment.
31. Free yourselves from all the offenses you have committed and get a new heart and a new spirit. Why should you die, Israel?
32. I do not want the death of anyone, word of Yahweh, but that you be converted and live!"