1. He brought me back to the entrance of the Temple, where a stream flowed eastwards from under the Temple threshold, for the Temple faced east. The water flowed from under the right side of the Temple, south of the altar.
2. He took me out by the north gate and led me right round outside as far as the outer east gate where the water flowed out on the right-hand side.
3. The man went off to the east holding his measuring line and measured off a thousand cubits; he then made me wade across the stream; the water reached my ankles.
4. He measured off another thousand and made me wade across the stream again; the water reached my knees. He measured off another thousand and made me wade across the stream again; the water reached my waist.
5. He measured off another thousand; it was now a river which I could not cross; the stream had swollen and was now deep water, a river impossible to cross.
6. He then said, 'Do you see, son of man?' He then took me and brought me back to the bank on the river.
7. Now, when I reached it, I saw an enormous number of trees on each bank of the river.
8. He said, 'This water flows east down to the Arabah and to the sea; and flowing into the sea it makes its waters wholesome.
9. Wherever the river flows, all living creatures teeming in it will live. Fish will be very plentiful, for wherever the water goes it brings health, and life teems wherever the river flows.
10. There will be fishermen on its banks. Fishing nets will be spread from En-Gedi to En-Eglaim. The species of fish will be the same as the fish of the Great Sea.
11. The marshes and lagoons, however, will not become wholesome, but will remain salt.
12. Along the river, on either bank, will grow every kind of fruit tree with leaves that never wither and fruit that never fails; they will bear new fruit every month, because this water comes from the sanctuary. And their fruit will be good to eat and the leaves medicinal.'
13. 'The Lord Yahweh says this, "This will be the territory which you must distribute among the twelve tribes of Israel, with two portions for Joseph.
14. You will each have a fair share of it, since I swore to your fathers that I would give it to them, and this country now falls to you as your heritage.
15. These will be the frontiers of the country. On the north, from the Great Sea, the road from Hethlon to the Pass of Hamath, Zedad,
16. Berothah, Sibraim lying between the territories of Damascus and Hamath, to Hazer-ha-Tikon on the borders of Hauran;
17. the frontier will extend from the sea to Hazer-Enon, with the territory of Damascus and the territory of Hamath to the north; that will be the northern frontier.
18. On the east, the Jordan will serve as frontier between Hauran and Damascus, between Gilead and Israel, down to the Eastern Sea as far as Tamar; that will be the eastern frontier.
19. On the south, from Tamar southward to the Waters of Meribah in Kadesh, to the Wadi and the Great Sea; that will be the southern frontier.
20. And to the west, the Great Sea will serve as frontier up to the point opposite the Pass of Hamath; that will be the western frontier.
21. You must distribute this country among yourselves, among the tribes of Israel.
22. You must distribute it as a heritage for yourselves and the aliens settled among you who have fathered children among you, since you must treat them as citizens of Israel. They must draw lots for their heritage with you, among the tribes of Israel.
23. You will give the alien his heritage in the tribe where he has settled -- declares the Lord Yahweh." '