1. For the leader, for Jeduthun. A psalm of David.
2. I said, "I will watch my ways, lest I sin with my tongue; I will set a curb on my mouth."
3. Dumb and silent before the wicked, I refrained from any speech. But my sorrow increased;
4. my heart smoldered within me. In my thoughts a fire blazed up, and I broke into speech:
5. LORD, let me know my end, the number of my days, that I may learn how frail I am.
6. You have given my days a very short span; my life is as nothing before you. All mortals are but a breath. Selah
7. Mere phantoms, we go our way; mere vapor, our restless pursuits; we heap up stores without knowing for whom.
8. And now, Lord, what future do I have? You are my only hope.
9. From all my sins deliver me; let me not be the taunt of fools.
10. I was silent and did not open my mouth because you were the one who did this.
11. Take your plague away from me; I am ravaged by the touch of your hand.
12. You rebuke our guilt and chasten us; you dissolve all we prize like a cobweb. All mortals are but a breath. Selah
13. Listen to my prayer, LORD, hear my cry; do not be deaf to my weeping! I sojourn with you like a passing stranger, a guest, like all my ancestors.
14. Turn your gaze from me, that I may find peace before I depart to be no more.