1. For the leader. A psalm of David.
2. In you, LORD, I take refuge; let me never be put to shame. In your justice deliver me;
3. incline your ear to me; make haste to rescue me! Be my rock of refuge, a stronghold to save me.
4. You are my rock and my fortress; for your name's sake lead and guide me.
5. Free me from the net they have set for me, for you are my refuge.
6. Into your hands I commend my spirit; you will redeem me, LORD, faithful God.
7. You hate those who serve worthless idols, but I trust in the LORD.
8. I will rejoice and be glad in your love, once you have seen my misery, observed my distress.
9. You will not abandon me into enemy hands, but will set my feet in a free and open space.
10. Be gracious to me, LORD, for I am in distress; with grief my eyes are wasted, my soul and body spent.
11. My life is worn out by sorrow, my years by sighing. My strength fails in affliction; my bones are consumed.
12. To all my foes I am a thing of scorn, to my neighbors, a dreaded sight, a horror to my friends. When they see me in the street, they quickly shy away.
13. I am forgotten, out of mind like the dead; I am like a shattered dish.
14. I hear the whispers of the crowd; terrors are all around me. They conspire against me; they plot to take my life.
15. But I trust in you, LORD; I say, "You are my God."
16. My times are in your hands; rescue me from my enemies, from the hands of my pursuers.
17. Let your face shine on your servant; save me in your kindness.
18. Do not let me be put to shame, for I have called to you, LORD. Put the wicked to shame; reduce them to silence in Sheol.
19. Strike dumb their lying lips, proud lips that attack the just in contempt and scorn.
20. How great is your goodness, Lord, stored up for those who fear you. You display it for those who trust you, in the sight of all the people.
21. You hide them in the shelter of your presence, safe from scheming enemies. You keep them in your abode, safe from plotting tongues.
22. Blessed be the LORD, who has shown me wondrous love, and been for me a city most secure.
23. Once I said in my anguish, "I am shut out from your sight." Yet you heard my plea, when I cried out to you.
24. Love the LORD, all you faithful. The LORD protects the loyal, but repays the arrogant in full.
25. Be strong and take heart, all you who hope in the LORD.