1. The word of Yahweh, the God of hosts was directed to me in this way,
2. "I am intensely jealous for Zion, stirred by a burning anger for her sake.
3. Yahweh says: I will return to Zion and live in her midst. Jerusalem shall be called City of faithfulness and the Mountain of Yahweh of hosts, the Mountain of holiness."
4. Yahweh, God of hosts speaks, "Old men and women will again sit in the squares, each with a stick in hand on account of their great age.
5. The squares of the city will be filled with girls and boys playing."
6. Yahweh, God of hosts declares, "If that seems impossible in the eyes of those who have returned from exile, will it be impossible for me as well?" - word of Yahweh.
7. Yahweh, God of hosts says, "See, I am going to save my people,
8. bringing them from the east and from the west and they will live in Jerusalem. They will be my people and I shall be their God in truth and in justice."
9. Yahweh, God of hosts declares, "In these days you have just heard the words of the prophets, because on this day the foundation stone is laid for the reconstruction of the Temple. Now do not be discouraged.
10. Before these days there was no salary for anyone nor food for beasts, people could not travel because of the ambushes, and I myself let everyone quarrel with his neighbor.
11. But from now on I will deal differently with this people."
12. Yahweh says, "I am sowing peace. The vine will give its fruit, the earth its produce, the heavens its dew and to the remnant of this people I will give all these things.
13. So it will happen that just as you were a curse among the nations, now I will save you, Judah and Israel, and make you a blessing. Have no fear and let your hands be strong!"
14. This is what Yahweh, God of hosts, says: "Just as I resolved to do you harm because your fathers angered me and I did not relent,
15. so now in these days am I determined to deal kindly with Jerusalem and Judah. Have no fear!
16. This is what you must do: Speak the truth to one another; let those who judge give peace through honest sentences
17. and do not plot evil in your heart against one another. Refrain from false oaths for it is what I detest" - word of Yahweh.
18. The word of Yahweh came to me, saying:
19. "This is what you will say for my sake: From now on the fasts of the fourth, fifth, seventh and tenth months will be days of joy, happy feastdays. Only be peacemakers and sincere people."
20. Yahweh, the God of hosts speaks, "People will come from other nations, people from great cities.
21. The inhabitants of one town will talk with those of another and say: 'Come, let us go and implore the favor of Yahweh, and I, too, will seek Yahweh.'
22. Many great peoples and powerful nations will come seeking Yahweh, God of hosts, in Jerusalem and pray to him."
23. Yahweh, the God of hosts assures you, "In those days ten men of different languages spoken in various lands, will take hold of a Jew by the hem of his garment and say: We, too, want to go with you for we have heard that God is with you."