1. When Jeremiah was still detained in the Guards' Court the word of Yahweh came to him a second time:
2. He who made the earth, who fashioned and established it, he whose Name is Yahweh is speaking to you,
3. "Call me and I shall answer. I will reveal to you great and mysterious things you have not known."
4. For this is what Yahweh God of Israel says, "You have seen how the houses of Jerusalem and the royal palace of Judah were demolished and used as a defense against the siege mounds in the
5. fighting against the Chaldeans. But they have been filled with dead bodies, for I slew these people in the fury of my anger when I no longer looked to this city because of their wickedness.
6. However I will apply a remedy for its healing. I will cure them and make them enjoy peace and truth.
7. I will bring back the captives of Judah and Israel and rebuild them as before.
8. I will cleanse them from the guilt of their sin against me and their infidelity.
9. This city will be for me a cause of joy, praise and glory in the sight of all the nations of the earth, when they hear of all the good I do for them. They will fear and tremble when they see all the good and all the peace I provide for them."
10. Thus says Yahweh, "You say of this city that it is a wasteland without men or animals. But in the towns of Judah and in the streets of Jerusalem which are a ruins without men or animals
11. there will be heard again the sound of merriment and happiness, the song of the newlywed and the voice of those who pray: 'Praise to Yahweh God of hosts, for Yahweh is good and his love endures forever!' When I restore the fortune of the land as it was before," says Yahweh, "the voice of those who sing praise in the House of Yahweh will be heard."
12. Thus says Yahweh God of hosts: In this place, which is a wasteland without men or animals and in all its towns, there will once again be pastures where the shepherds will tend their flocks.
13. In the towns of the hill country, Shephelah and the south, in the territory of Benjamin and the villages around Jerusalem and in the towns of Judah, flocks will pass under the hand of the one who counts them - word of Yahweh.
14. The days are coming when I shall fulfill the promise that I made in favor of Israel and Judah.
15. In those days and at that time I will cause to sprout the shoot of righteousness from David's line; he will practice justice and righteousness in the land.
16. In those days Judah will experience salvation and Jerusalem will live in safety. He will be called Yahweh-Our-Righteousness."
17. For Yahweh says, "David will never be without a descendant seated on the throne of Israel,
18. nor will the priests and Levites be left without descendants to stand before me and to present burnt offerings, grain offerings and sacrifices."
19. The word of Yahweh came to Jeremiah as follows,
20. "If you are able to break my covenant with the day or my covenant with the night so that night and day would not follow at their appointed times,
21. then might my covenant with David my servant be broken. Only then would there be no descendant to reign on his throne and no priests or Levites to minister before me.
22. Just as the stars in the sky or the sand on the seashore cannot be counted, to the same extent shall I multiply the descendants of David and the Levites who minister before me."
23. Again the word of Yahweh came to Jeremiah,
24. "Have you not noticed what these people say: 'Yahweh has rejected the two kingdoms he chose.' So they despise my people, and no longer consider them a nation.
25. But Yahweh says: If I have not established my covenant with day and night, if I have not fixed the laws of the heavens and the earth,
26. then I can reject the descendants of Jacob and David my servant and not take from among them rulers for the descendants of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob. For I am going to restore their fortune and show compassion on them."