1. When the priest Pashur, son of Immer, who was the chief officer in the House of Yahweh, heard Jeremiah prophesying like this,
2. he ordered his people to beat Jeremiah and put him in chains at the Gate of Benjamin, the upper gate at the House of Yahweh.
3. The next day, after Pashur ordered the release of Jeremiah, the latter told the former, "Yahweh has already changed your name. It is not Pashur anymore but 'Terror on every side.'
4. For Yahweh says: I am going to hand you over to terror, you and your friends. They will fall under the sword of their enemies while you look on. I will deliver the people of Judah into the hands of the king of Babylon who will deport them to Babylon or slay them by the sword.
5. I will likewise allow the enemies plunder all the wealth of this city. All the possessions and treasures of the kings of Judah will be seized and carried off to Babylonia.
6. As for you, Pashur, you and your entire family will be taken as captives to Babylon where you will die and be buried - you and all your friends whom you deceived with lies."
7. Yahweh, you have seduced me and I let myself be seduced. You have taken me by force and prevailed. I have become a laughingstock all day long; they all make fun of me,
8. for every time I speak I have to shout, "Violence! Devastation!" Yahweh's word has brought me insult and derision all day long.
9. So I decided to forget about him and speak no more in his name. But his word in my heart becomes like a fire burning deep within my bones. I try so hard to hold it in, but I cannot do it.
10. I hear many people whispering, "Terror is all around! Denounce him! Yes, denounce him!" All my friends watch me to see if I will slip: "Perhaps he can be deceived," they say; "then we can get the better of him and have our revenge."
11. But Yahweh, a mighty warrior, is with me. My persecutors will stumble and not prevail; that failure will be their shame and their disgrace will never be forgotten.
12. Yahweh, God of hosts, you test the just and probe the heart and mind. Let me see your revenge on them, for to you I have entrusted my cause.
13. Sing to Yahweh! Praise Yahweh and say: he has rescued the poor from the clutches of the wicked!
14. Cursed be the day I was born! Bless not the day my mother brought me to light!
15. Cursed be the man who broke the news to my father: 'It's a boy!' and it made him joyful!
16. Let him be like the towns that Yahweh destroyed without mercy. Let him hear a warning shout in the morning and a battle cry at noon!
17. For he did not kill me in the womb, that my mother would have been my grave, and have carried me forever.
18. Why did I ever leave the womb to live in trouble and sorrow, and spend my days in shame?