1. The lot that fell to the Josephites extended from the Jordan at Jericho to the waters of Jericho east of the desert; then the boundary went up from Jericho to the heights at Bethel.
2. Leaving Bethel for Luz, it crossed the ridge to the border of the Archites at Ataroth,
3. and descended westward to the border of the Japhletites, to that of the Lower Beth-horon, and to Gezer, ending thence at the sea.
4. Within the heritage of Manasseh and Ephraim, sons of Joseph,
5. the dividing line for the heritage of the clans of the Ephraimites ran from east of Ataroth-addar to Upper Bethhoron
6. and thence to the sea. From Michmethath on the north, their boundary curved eastward around Taanath-shiloh, and continued east of it to Janoah;
7. from there it descended to Ataroth and Naarah, and skirting Jericho, it ended at the Jordan.
8. From Tappuah the boundary ran westward to the Wadi Kanah and ended at the sea. This was the heritage of the clans of the Ephraimites,
9. including the villages that belonged to each city set aside for the Ephraimites within the territory of the Manassehites.
10. But they did not drive out the Canaanites living in Gezer, who live on within Ephraim to the present day, though they have been impressed as laborers.