1. And he said to me, "Son of man, stand upon your feet, and I will speak with you."
2. And when he spoke to me, the Spirit entered into me and set me upon my feet; and I heard him speaking to me.
3. And he said to me, "Son of man, I send you to the people of Israel, to a nation of rebels, who have rebelled against me; they and their fathers have transgressed against me to this very day.
4. The people also are impudent and stubborn: I send you to them; and you shall say to them, `Thus says the Lord GOD.'
5. And whether they hear or refuse to hear (for they are a rebellious house) they will know that there has been a prophet among them.
6. And you, son of man, be not afraid of them, nor be afraid of their words, though briers and thorns are with you and you sit upon scorpions; be not afraid of their words, nor be dismayed at their looks, for they are a rebellious house.
7. And you shall speak my words to them, whether they hear or refuse to hear; for they are a rebellious house.
8. "But you, son of man, hear what I say to you; be not rebellious like that rebellious house; open your mouth, and eat what I give you."
9. And when I looked, behold, a hand was stretched out to me, and, lo, a written scroll was in it;
10. and he spread it before me; and it had writing on the front and on the back, and there were written on it words of lamentation and mourning and woe.