1 John, 2
1. My little children, I am writing this to you so that you may not sin; but if any one does sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous;
2. and he is the expiation for our sins, and not for ours only but also for the sins of the whole world.
3. And by this we may be sure that we know him, if we keep his commandments.
4. He who says "I know him" but disobeys his commandments is a liar, and the truth is not in him;
5. but whoever keeps his word, in him truly love for God is perfected. By this we may be sure that we are in him:
6. he who says he abides in him ought to walk in the same way in which he walked.
7. Beloved, I am writing you no new commandment, but an old commandment which you had from the beginning; the old commandment is the word which you have heard.
8. Yet I am writing you a new commandment, which is true in him and in you, because the darkness is passing away and the true light is already shining.
9. He who says he is in the light and hates his brother is in the darkness still.
10. He who loves his brother abides in the light, and in it there is no cause for stumbling.
11. But he who hates his brother is in the darkness and walks in the darkness, and does not know where he is going, because the darkness has blinded his eyes.
12. I am writing to you, little children, because your sins are forgiven for his sake.
13. I am writing to you, fathers, because you know him who is from the beginning. I am writing to you, young men, because you have overcome the evil one. I write to you, children, because you know the Father.
14. I write to you, fathers, because you know him who is from the beginning. I write to you, young men, because you are strong, and the word of God abides in you, and you have overcome the evil one.
15. Do not love the world or the things in the world. If any one loves the world, love for the Father is not in him.
16. For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh and the lust of the eyes and the pride of life, is not of the Father but is of the world.
17. And the world passes away, and the lust of it; but he who does the will of God abides for ever.
18. Children, it is the last hour; and as you have heard that antichrist is coming, so now many antichrists have come; therefore we know that it is the last hour.
19. They went out from us, but they were not of us; for if they had been of us, they would have continued with us; but they went out, that it might be plain that they all are not of us.
20. But you have been anointed by the Holy One, and you all know.
21. I write to you, not because you do not know the truth, but because you know it, and know that no lie is of the truth.
22. Who is the liar but he who denies that Jesus is the Christ? This is the antichrist, he who denies the Father and the Son.
23. No one who denies the Son has the Father. He who confesses the Son has the Father also.
24. Let what you heard from the beginning abide in you. If what you heard from the beginning abides in you, then you will abide in the Son and in the Father.
25. And this is what he has promised us, eternal life.
26. I write this to you about those who would deceive you;
27. but the anointing which you received from him abides in you, and you have no need that any one should teach you; as his anointing teaches you about everything, and is true, and is no lie, just as it has taught you, abide in him.
28. And now, little children, abide in him, so that when he appears we may have confidence and not shrink from him in shame at his coming.
29. If you know that he is righteous, you may be sure that every one who does right is born of him.