1. The word that the prophet Jeremiah addressed to Baruch son of Neriah when the latter wrote these words down in a book at Jeremiah's dictation in the fourth year of Jehoiakim son of Josiah, king of Judah,
2. 'This is what Yahweh God of Israel says about you, Baruch!
3. "You have been thinking: what disaster for me, and Yahweh has added further grief to my troubles! I am worn out with groaning, and find no relief!"
4. Say to him as follows, "Yahweh says this: Now I am knocking down what I have built, am uprooting what I have planted, over the whole country!
5. And you ask for special treatment! Do not ask, for I am now going to bring disaster on all humanity, Yahweh declares, but you I shall allow to escape with your life, wherever you may go." '