1. The word that Jeremias the prophet spoke to Baruch the son of Nerias, when he had written there words in a book, out of the mouth of Jeremias, in the fourth year of Joakim the son of Josias king of Juda, saying:
2. Thus saith the Lord the God of Israel to thee, Baruch:
3. Thou hast said: Woe is me, wretch that I am, for the Lord hath added sorrow to my sorrow: I am wearied with my groans, and I find no rest.
4. Thus saith the Lord: Thus shalt thou say to him: Behold, them whom I have built, I do destroy: and them whom I have planted, I do pluck up, and all this land.
5. And dost thou seek great things for thyself ? Seek not : for behold I will bring evil upon all flesh, saith the Lord ! but I will give thee thy life, and save thee in all places whithersoever thou shalt go.