1. Here are the stages of the journey of the people of Israel when they left the land of Egypt by divisions, under the leadership of Moses and Aaron.
2. Moses followed Yahweh's instructions and wrote down the starting place for each stage of the journey. Here are the stages or, better, the starting places.
3. They left Egypt on the fifteenth day of the first month of the year. On the day following the Passover, the people of Israel set out triumphantly in the sight of all the Egyptians,
4. when they were burying their dead. For Yahweh had killed all their firstborn; he had also passed judgment on the gods of Egypt.
5. The people of Israel left Rameses and camped at Succoth.
6. Then they left Succoth and camped at Etham which is on the edge of the wilderness.
7. They left Etham, turned back to Pi-hahiroth which faces Baal-zephon, and camped before Migdol.
8. They left Pi-hahiroth, crossed over the sea into the wilderness, and after marching for three days in the desert of Etham, they camped at Marah.
9. They left Marah and reached Elim. At Elim, there were twelve springs of water and seventy palm trees; they camped there.
10. They left Elim and camped by the Sea of Reeds.
11. They left the Sea of Reeds and camped in the wilderness of Sin.
12. They left the wilderness of Sin and camped at Dophkah.
13. They left Dophkah and camped at Alush.
14. They left Alush and camped at Rephidim; the people found no drinking water there.
15. They left Rephidim and camped in the wilderness of Sinai.
16. They left the wilderness of Sinai and camped at Kibroth-hattaavah.
17. They left Kibroth-hattaavah and camped at Hazeroth.
18. They left Hazeroth and camped at Rithmah.
19. They left Rithmah and camped at Rimmon-perez.
20. They left Rimmon-perez and camped at Libnah.
21. They left Libnah and camped at Rissah.
22. They left Rissah and camped at Kehelathah.
23. They left Kehelathah and camped at Mount Shepher.
24. They left Mount Shepher and camped at Haradah.
25. They left Haradah and camped at Makheloth.
26. They left Makheloth and camped at Tahath.
27. They left Tahath and camped at Terah.
28. They left Terah and camped at Mithkah.
29. They left Mithkah and camped at Hashmonah.
30. They left Hashmonah and camped at Moseroth.
31. They left Moseroth and camped at Bene-jaakan.
32. They left Bene-jaakan and camped at Hor-haggidgad.
33. They left Hor-haggidgad and camped at Jotbathah.
34. They left Jotbathah and camped at Abronah.
35. They left Abronah and camped at Ezion-geber.
36. They left Ezion-geber and camped in the wilderness of Zin; that is Kadesh.
37. They left Kadesh and camped at Mount Hor, on the borders of the land of Edom.
38. There Aaron, the priest, went up Mount Hor at Yahweh's command and there he died, in the fortieth year of the journey of the Israelites from the land of Egypt, in the fifth month, on the first day of the month.
39. Aaron was 123 years old when he died at Mount Hor.
40. The king of Arad, a Canaanite who lived in the Negeb in the land of Canaan, was informed when the people of Israel arrived.
41. So they left Mount Hor and camped at Zalmonah.
42. They left Zalmonah and camped at Punon.
43. They left Punon and camped at Oboth.
44. They left Oboth and camped in Moabite territory at Iye-abarim.
45. They left Iye-abarim and camped at Dibon-gad.
46. They left Dibon-gad and camped at Almon-diblathaim.
47. They left Almon-diblathaim and camped in the Abarim mountains facing Nebo.
48. They left the Abarim mountains and camped in the plains of Moab, near the Jordan opposite Jericho.
49. There they camped near the Jordan between Bethha-jeshimoth and Abel-hashshittim, in the plains of Moab.
50. Yahweh spoke to Moses in the plains of Moab, near the Jordan River opposite Jericho. He said:
51. "Say this to the people of Israel: When you have crossed the Jordan into the land of Canaan,
52. you must drive out all the inhabitants of the country. You must destroy their stones, and their idols and all their places of worship.
53. You will take possession of this land and settle in it for I have given it to you for your own.
54. You are to divide it by drawing lots among your clans. To a large clan you will give a larger piece of property, to a small clan a smaller one. Where the lot falls for each, that will be his. Make this division according to tribes.
55. But if you do not drive out the inhabitants of the country, then those you have allowed to remain will be as splinters in your eyes and thorns in your side; they will harass you in the land where you are to live
56. and I will treat you as I meant to treat them."