1. Then the daughters of Zelophehad came forward. Zelophehad was the son of Hepher, son of Gilead, son of Machir, son of Manasseh, son of Joseph. These are the names of his daughters: Mahlah, Noah, Hoglah, Milcah and Tirzah.
2. They appeared before Moses, before Eleazer the priest, and before the leaders and the whole community, at the entrance to the Tent of Meeting, and said,
3. "Our father died in the desert. He was not one of those who rebelled against Yahweh, nor among the followers of Korah; but he died for his own sin as all the people and he did not leave any sons.
4. Why must our father's name disappear from among his clan? Since he had no son, give us some property among our father's relatives."
5. Moses took their case before Yahweh,
6. and Yahweh spoke to Moses. He said,
7. "The daughters of Zelophehad have a just case. Give them property for their inheritance among their father's relatives; pass on to them their father's inheritance.
8. Then say this to the people of Israel, If a man dies without sons, his inheritance is to be given to his daughter.
9. If he has no daughters, the inheritance is to go to his brothers.
10. If he has no brothers, it is to go to his father's brothers.
11. If his father has no brothers, it is to go to the member of his clan who is most nearly related: he is to hold it as his own property. This shall be a law for the people of Israel, as Yahweh has commanded Moses."
12. Yahweh said to Moses, "Climb this mountain of the Abarim range, and look on the land I give to the Israelites.
13. After you have seen it, you will die, as Aaron your brother did.
14. For you both rebelled against my command in the desert of Zin when the community complained against me, when I commanded you to proclaim my holy power before their eyes in the matter of the water." (These are the waters of Meribah of Kadesh, in the desert of Zin).
15. Moses said to Yahweh,
16. "May Yahweh, God of the spirits that give life to all living creatures, appoint a leader for this community,
17. who shall go out and come in at their head, who shall lead them out and bring them in; so that the community of Yahweh may not be like sheep without a shepherd."
18. Yahweh answered Moses, "Take Joshua, son of Nun, a man in whom the Spirit dwells, and lay your hands on him.
19. Then bring him before Eleazar, the priest, and the whole community, to instruct him in their presence
20. and to give him a share of your authority, so that the whole community of the sons of Israel may obey him.
21. Eleazar the priest shall consult me for him and tell him my decisions by means of the Urim and Thummim. Then Joshua will direct all the Israelites, the whole community, in all their affairs."
22. Moses did as Yahweh had commanded. He took Joshua and brought him before Eleazar the priest and the whole community,
23. laid his hands on him and instructed him, as Yahweh had directed through Moses.