1. Then he called his twelve disciples to him and gave them authority over the unclean spirits to drive them out and to heal every disease and sickness.
2. These are the names of the twelve apostles: first Simon, called Peter, and his brother Andrew;
3. James, the son of Zebedee, and his brother John; Philip and Bartholomew, Thomas and Matthew, the tax collector; James, the son of Alphaeus, and Thaddaeus;
4. Simon, the Canaanite, and Judas Iscariot, the man who would betray him.
5. Jesus sent these twelve on mission with the instruction: "Do not visit pagan territory and do not enter a Samaritan town.
6. Go instead to the lost sheep of the people of Israel.
7. Go and proclaim this message: The kingdom of heaven is near.
8. Heal the sick, bring the dead back to life, cleanse the lepers, and drive out demons. You received this as a gift, so give it as a gift.
9. Do not carry any gold, silver or copper in your purses.
10. Do not carry a traveler's bag, or an extra shirt, or sandals, or walking-stick: workers deserve their living.
11. When you come to a town or a village, look for a worthy person and stay there until you leave.
12. As you enter the house, wish it peace.
13. If the people in the house deserve it, your peace will be on them; if they do not deserve it, your blessing will come back to you.
14. And if you are not welcomed and your words are not listened to, leave that house or that town and shake the dust off your feet.
15. I assure you, it will go easier for the people of Sodom and Gomorrah on the day of judgment than it will for the people of that town.
16. Look, I send you out like sheep among wolves. You must be clever as snakes and innocent as doves.
17. Be on your guard with respect to people, for they will hand you over to their courts and they will flog you in their synagogues.
18. You will be brought to trial before rulers and kings because of me, and so you may witness to them and the pagans.
19. But when you are arrested, do not worry about what you are to say and how you are to say it; when the hour comes, you will be given what you are to say.
20. For it is not you who will speak; but it will be the Spirit of your Father in you.
21. Brother will hand over brother to death, and a father his child; children will turn against parents and have them put to death.
22. Everyone will hate you because of me, but whoever stands firm to the end will be saved.
23. When they persecute you in one town, flee to the next. For sure, you will not have gone through all the towns of Israel before the Son of Man comes.
24. A student is not above his teacher, or a slave above his master.
25. A student should be glad to become like his teacher, and the slave like his master. If the head of the family has been called Beelzebul, how much more the members of the family! So, do not be afraid of them.
26. There is nothing covered that will not be uncovered, and nothing hidden that will not be made known.
27. What I am telling you in the dark, you must speak in the light. What you hear in private, proclaim from the housetops.
28. Do not be afraid of those who kill the body, but have no power to kill the soul. Rather be afraid of him who can destroy both body and soul in hell.
29. For only a few cents you can buy two sparrows, yet not one sparrow falls to the ground without your Father's consent.
30. As for you, every hair of your head has been counted.
31. So do not be afraid: you are worth much more than many sparrows.
32. Whoever acknowledges me before others I will acknowledge before my Father in heaven.
33. Whoever rejects me before others I will reject before my Father in heaven.
34. Do not think that I have come to establish peace on earth. I have not come to bring peace, but a sword.
35. For I have come to set a man against his father and daughter against her mother; a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law.
36. Each one will have as enemies those of one's own family.
37. Whoever loves father or mother more than me is not worthy of me. And whoever loves son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me.
38. And whoever does not take up his cross and come after me is not worthy of me.
39. One who wants to benefit from his life will lose it; one who loses his life for my sake will find it.
40. Whoever welcomes you welcomes me, and whoever welcomes me welcomes him who sent me.
41. The one who welcomes a prophet as a prophet will receive the reward of a prophet; the one who welcomes a just man because he is a just man will receive the reward of a just man.
42. And if anyone gives even a cup of cold water to one of these little ones, because he is a disciple of mine, I assure you, he will not go unrewarded."