1. Then he said to Moses, "Go up to Yahweh, you, Aaron, Nadab and Abihu with seventy of the elders of Israel, and let them worship from a distance.
2. Moses alone shall go forward to Yahweh but not the others, nor shall the people go up with him."
3. Moses came and told the people all the words of Yahweh and all his laws. The people replied with one voice: "Everything that Yahweh has said, we shall do."
4. Moses wrote down all the words of Yahweh, then rose early in the morning and built an altar at the foot of the mountain with twelve raised stones for the twelve tribes of Israel.
5. He then sent young men from among the sons of Israel to offer burnt offerings and sacrifice bullocks as peace offerings to Yahweh.
6. And Moses took half the blood and put it in basins; and with the other half of the blood he sprinkled the altar.
7. He then took the Book of the Covenant and read it in the hearing of the people. They said, "All that Yahweh said we shall do and obey."
8. Moses then took the blood and sprinkled it on the people saying, "Here is the blood of the covenant that Yahweh has made with you in accordance with all these words."
9. Then Moses went up with Aaron, Nadab, Abihu and the seventy elders of Israel.
10. They saw the God of Israel. Under his feet there was what seemed like a pavement of sapphire, clear as the sky itself.
11. And he did not let his hand overpower these chosen men from among the sons of Israel; they looked on God and ate and drank.
12. Yahweh said to Moses, "Come up to me on the mountain and stay there. I will give you the slabs of stone, the Teaching and commandment which I have written for their instruction."
13. So Moses arose with his servant, Joshua, and before going up the mountain of God,
14. Moses said to the elders, "Remain here until we come back to you. Aaron and Hur are with you; let whoever has a dispute to settle, go to them."
15. When Moses went up the mountain a cloud covered it.
16. The Glory of Yahweh rested on Mount Sinai and the cloud covered it for six days. On the seventh day He called to Moses from within the cloud.
17. The Glory of Yahweh appeared like a consuming fire on the top of the mountain: so it was as it appeared to the Israelites.
18. And Moses entered the cloud and went up the mountain. Moses stayed on the mountain forty days and forty nights.