1. In that day the LORD with his hard and great and strong sword will punish Leviathan the fleeing serpent, Leviathan the twisting serpent, and he will slay the dragon that is in the sea.
2. In that day: "A pleasant vineyard, sing of it!
3. I, the LORD, am its keeper; every moment I water it. Lest any one harm it, I guard it night and day;
4. I have no wrath. Would that I had thorns and briers to battle! I would set out against them, I would burn them up together.
5. Or let them lay hold of my protection, let them make peace with me, let them make peace with me."
6. In days to come Jacob shall take root, Israel shall blossom and put forth shoots, and fill the whole world with fruit.
7. Has he smitten them as he smote those who smote them? Or have they been slain as their slayers were slain?
8. Measure by measure, by exile thou didst contend with them; he removed them with his fierce blast in the day of the east wind.
9. Therefore by this the guilt of Jacob will be expiated, and this will be the full fruit of the removal of his sin: when he makes all the stones of the altars like chalkstones crushed to pieces, no Ashe'rim or incense altars will remain standing.
10. For the fortified city is solitary, a habitation deserted and forsaken, like the wilderness; there the calf grazes, there he lies down, and strips its branches.
11. When its boughs are dry, they are broken; women come and make a fire of them. For this is a people without discernment; therefore he who made them will not have compassion on them, he that formed them will show them no favor.
12. In that day from the river Euphra'tes to the Brook of Egypt the LORD will thresh out the grain, and you will be gathered one by one, O people of Israel.
13. And in that day a great trumpet will be blown, and those who were lost in the land of Assyria and those who were driven out to the land of Egypt will come and worship the LORD on the holy mountain at Jerusalem.