1. See, there on the mountains, the feet of one who brings good news, one who proclaims peace. Judah, celebrate your feasts and carry out your vows. For the wicked have been destroyed, they will not attack you any more.
2. Against Nineveh a destroyer advances. Watch the road, man the fortress; brace yourselves, muster your forces.
3. Yahweh will now restore Jacob's magnificence, like Israel's splendor. For they had been plundered, laid waste as a ravaged vineyard. Nineveh shall fall
4. The shields of his soldiers are red; his warriors are crimson-clad. His chariots gleam as if on fire when mustered in battle array, while prancing horses and frenzied horsemen wait impatiently for bloody action.
5. As chariots storm through the streets and dash madly through the squares, they look like flashing torches or darting lightning bolts.
6. The picked troops are called out; ranks break at their charge. Having set up the mantelet they rushed toward the rampart.
7. The river gates are thrown open, and the palace defense collapses.
8. The goddess is taken captive together with all her handmaids, moaning like doves and beating their breasts.
9. Nineveh looks like a pool with its waters running away: All flee: "Stop, stop!" but no one comes back.
10. All kinds of wealth, gold and silver - it is an endless treasure, a heap of the most precious things.
11. Waste and ruin, desolation and emptiness, failing hearts and trembling knees, terror and agony on all blanched faces!
12. Where now is the lion's cave, the den of the cubs where the lion would bring his prey, and the cubs lie down undisturbed?
13. The lion tore to pieces for his whelps, and strangled for his mates; he filled his caves with prey and his dens with mangled flesh.
14. Yahweh Sabaoth speaks: I have come against you. I will send up your chariots in smoke, give your cubs to the sword; wipe the earth clear of your plunder, and your envoys' voices will be heard no more.