1. Yahweh spoke to Moses and Aaron and said to them,
2. "Speak to the people of Israel and say: 'Of all the animals on the earth these are the animals you may eat.
3. You may eat any animal that has divided hoofs, divided into two parts, and that also chews the cud.
4. You may not eat: the camel, because though it chews the cud, it does not have divided hoofs;
5. the rabbit, because though it chews the cud, it does not have divided hoofs;
6. the hare, as well;
7. the pig, because though it has divided hoofs, it does not chew the cud.
8. You must not eat the meat of such animals nor their dead bodies; they are unclean for you.
9. Of all that lives in water you may eat anything that has fins and scales, and lives in sea or river.
10. But anything living in sea or river that does not have both fins and scales must not be eaten.
11. They are unclean for you; you shall not eat their flesh nor even touch their dead bodies.
12. Anything that lives in water, but does not have fins and scales, is unclean for you.
13. Among the birds, here are those you must consider unclean and not eat:
14. the vulture, the eagle, the osprey, the hawk, the several kinds of buzzards,
15. all kinds of ravens,
16. the ostrich, the screech owl, the seagull,
17. the horned owl, the night owl, the seabird, the barn owl,
18. the ibis, the pelican, the white vulture,
19. the stork, the several kinds of heron, and the bat.
20. All winged insects that move on four feet shall be unclean for you.
21. Of all the winged insects you may eat only the following: those that have legs above their feet so that they can leap over the ground.
22. These are the ones you may eat: the several kinds of locusts, crickets and grasshoppers.
23. But all other winged insects that have four legs you are to consider unclean.
24. Anyone who touches
25. or picks up the dead bodies of one of these animals will be unclean until evening.
26. The same with animals that have hoofs, unless their hoofs are divided and they chew the cud;
27. and also four-footed animals which walk on the flat of their feet.
28. Anyone who picks up their dead bodies must wash his clothing and will be unclean until evening.
29. These are the small animals crawling on the ground that shall be unclean for you: rats, mice and several kinds of lizards:
30. the gecko, the chameleon, the agama, the skink and the mole.
31. Anyone who touches them when they are dead will be unclean until evening.
32. Anything on which the dead body of any of these creatures falls becomes unclean: wooden utensil, clothing, skin, sackcloth - any utensil at all. It must be dipped in water and will remain unclean until evening: then it will be clean.
33. If the creature falls into a clay pot, the pot must be broken; whatever the pot contains is unclean.
34. Any food on which water from such a pot has poured will be unclean.
35. Anything on which the dead body of such a creature may fall will be unclean: if it is a clay stove or oven, this must be broken; for they are unclean and you must treat them as unclean.
36. A spring or cistern for collecting water remains clean; but whoever touches the dead body becomes unclean.
37. If one of their dead bodies falls on any seed whatever, the seed will remain clean;
38. but if the seed has been wet, and such a dead body falls on it, then you must consider it unclean.
39. If one of the animals that you use as food dies, then anyone who touches the dead body will be unclean until evening;
40. anyone who eats the meat of the dead animal must wash his clothing and will be unclean until the evening. And anyone who picks up the dead body will also be unclean until the evening and has to wash his clothing.
41. All the creatures that swarm on the ground are unclean and may not be eaten.
42. Everything that crawls on its belly or goes on four legs, or has many legs, may not be eaten.
43. Do not defile yourselves with any swarming creature that might defile you,
44. for I am Yahweh your God. Take the way of holiness and be holy, for I am holy. Do not make yourselves unclean with any of the creatures that swarm on the ground,
45. for I am Yahweh who brought you from the land of Egypt, that I might be your God. Be holy because I am holy.
46. This is the law for animals and birds and for every living creature that moves in the water or that crawls on the ground.
47. Let everyone distinguish between the clean and the unclean, between creatures that may be eaten and creatures that may not."