1. Now the serpent was the most crafty of all the wild creatures that Yahweh God had made. He said to the woman, "Did God really say: You must not eat from any tree in the garden?"
2. The woman said to the serpent, "We may eat the fruit of the trees in the garden,
3. but of the fruit of the tree that is in the middle of the garden God said: You must not eat, and you must not touch it or you will die."
4. The serpent said to the woman, "You will not die,
5. but God knows that the day you eat it, your eyes will be opened and you will be like gods, knowing good and evil."
6. The woman saw that the fruit was good to eat, and pleasant to the eyes, and ideal for gaining knowledge. She took its fruit and ate it and gave some to her husband who was with her. He ate it.
7. Then their eyes were opened and both of them knew they were naked. So they sewed leaves of a fig tree together and made themselves loincloths.
8. They heard the voice of Yahweh God walking in the garden, in the cool of the day, and they, the man and his wife, hid from Yahweh God among the trees of the garden.
9. Yahweh God called the man saying to him, "Where are you?"
10. He said, "I heard your voice in the garden and I was afraid because I was naked, so I hid."
11. God said, "Who told you that you were naked? Have you eaten of the tree I ordered you not to eat?"
12. The man answered, "The woman you put with me gave me fruit from the tree and I ate it."
13. God said to the woman, "What have you done?" The woman said, "The serpent deceived me and I ate."
14. Yahweh God said to the serpent, "Since you have done that, be cursed among all the cattle and wild beasts! You will crawl on your belly and eat dust all the days of your life.
15. I will make you enemies, you and the woman, your offspring and her offspring. He will crush your head and you will strike his heel."
16. To the woman, God said, "I will increase your suffering in childbearing, and you will give birth to your children in pain. You will be dependent on your husband and he will lord it over you."
17. To the man, He said, "Because you have listened to your wife, and have eaten from the tree of which I forbade you to eat, cursed be the soil because of you! In suffering you will provide food for yourself from it, all the days of your life.
18. It will produce thorn and thistle for you and you will eat the plants of the field.
19. With sweat on your face you will eat your bread, until you return to clay, since it was from clay that you were taken, for you are dust and to dust you shall return."
20. The man called his wife by the name of Eve, because she was the mother of all the living.
21. Yahweh God made garments of skin for the man and his wife, and with these he clothed them.
22. Then Yahweh God said, "Man has now become like one of us, making himself judge of good and evil. Let him not stretch out his hand to take and eat from the tree of Life as well, and live forever."
23. So God cast him from the garden of Eden to till the soil from which he had been made.
24. And after having driven the man out, God posted cherubim and a flaming sword that kept turning at the east of the garden of Eden to guard the way to the tree of Life.