1. Adam had intercourse with Eve his wife; she became pregnant and gave birth to a child. She named him Cain, for she said, "I have got a man with help from Yahweh."
2. She later gave birth to Abel, his brother. Abel was a shepherd and kept flocks, and Cain tilled the soil.
3. It happened after a time that Cain brought fruits of the soil as an offering to Yahweh.
4. Abel for his part brought the firstborn of his flock, and some fat as well. Now Yahweh was well pleased with Abel and his offering,
5. but towards Cain and his offering he showed no pleasure. This made Cain very angry and downcast.
6. Then Yahweh said to Cain, "Why are you angry and downcast?
7. If you do right, why do you not look up? But if you are not doing what is right, sin is lurking at the door. It is striving to get you, but you must control it."
8. Cain said to his brother Abel, "Let's go to the fields." Once there, Cain turned on his brother Abel and killed him.
9. Yahweh said to Cain, "Where is your brother, Abel?" He answered, "I don't know; am I my brother's keeper?"
10. Yahweh asked, "What have you done? Your brother's blood cries out to me from the ground.
11. Now be cursed and driven from the ground that has opened its mouth to receive your brother's blood that your hand has shed.
12. When you till the soil, it will no longer yield you its produce. You will be a fugitive wandering on the earth."
13. Cain said to Yahweh, "My punishment is greater than I can bear.
14. See! Today you drive me from this land. I must hide from you and be a wanderer and a fugitive on the earth, and it will so happen that whoever meets me will kill me."
15. Yahweh said to him, "Well then, whoever kills Cain, will suffer vengeance seven times." And Yahweh put a mark on Cain to prevent anyone who met him from killing him.
16. Cain then went from Yahweh's presence and settled in the land of Nod, to the east of Eden.
17. Cain had intercourse with his wife; she conceived and gave birth to Enoch. As he was building a town, he called it by the name of his son, Enoch.
18. A son, Irad, was born to Enoch. Irad became father of Mehujael, and Mehujael of Methuael, and Methuael of Lamech.
19. Lamech had two wives, Adah and Zillah.
20. Adah gave birth to Jabel: he was father to those who live in tents and keep flocks.
21. His brother was Jubal: he was father to all those who play the lyre and flute.
22. As for Zillah, she gave birth to Tubal-Cain, forger of all tools in bronze and iron. The sister of Tubal-Cain was Naamah.
23. Lamech said to his wives: "Adah and Zillah, hear my voice; wives of Lamech, listen to what I say, for I killed a man for wounding me and a boy for striking me.
24. If Cain will be avenged seven times, then Lamech seventy-seven times."
25. Adam again had intercourse with his wife and she gave birth to a son and named him Seth; for she said, "Yahweh has given me another child in place of Abel since Cain killed him."
26. To Seth also a son was born and he called him Enosh. At that time people began to call on the name of Yahweh.