1. That was the way the sky and earth were created and all their vast array.
2. By the seventh day the work God had done was completed, and he rested on the seventh day from all the work he had done.
3. And God blessed the seventh day and made it holy, because on that day he rested from all the work he had done in his creation.
4. These are the successive steps in the creation of the heavens and the earth. On the day that Yahweh God made the earth and the heavens,
5. there was not yet on the earth any shrub of the fields, nor had any plant yet sprung up, for Yahweh God had not made it rain on the earth, and there was no man to till the earth,
6. but a mist went up from the earth and watered the surface of the earth.
7. Then Yahweh God formed Man, dust drawn from the clay, and breathed into his nostrils a breath of life and Man became alive with breath.
8. God planted a garden in Eden in the east and there he placed Man whom he had created.
9. Yahweh God caused to grow from the ground every kind of tree that is pleasing to see and good to eat, also the tree of Life in the middle of the garden and the tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil.
10. A river flowed from Eden to water the garden and from there it divided to form four main streams.
11. The name of the first river is Pishon. It is the one that flows around all the country of Havilah where there is gold,
12. and the gold of that country is good; bidellium and onyx stone are there.
13. The name of the second river is Gihon. It is the one that flows around all the land of Cush.
14. The name of the third river is Tigris. It is the one that flows to the east of Assyria. The fourth river is the Euphrates.
15. Yahweh God took Man and placed him in the garden of Eden to till it and take care of it.
16. Then Yahweh God gave an order to Man saying, "You may eat of every tree in the garden,
17. but of the tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil, you will not eat, for on the day you eat of it, you will die."
18. Yahweh God said, "It is not good for Man to be alone; I will give him a helper who will be like him."
19. Then Yahweh God formed from the earth all the beasts of the field and all the birds of the air and brought them to Man to see what he would call them; and whatever Man called every living creature, that was its name.
20. So Man gave names to all the cattle, the birds of the air and to every beast of the field. But he did not find among them a helper like himself.
21. Then Yahweh God caused a deep sleep to come over Man and he fell asleep. He took one of his ribs and filled its place with flesh.
22. The rib which Yahweh God had taken from Man he formed into a woman and brought her to the man.
23. The man then said, "Now this is bone of my bone and flesh of my flesh. She shall be called woman because she was taken from man."
24. That is why man leaves his father and mother and is attached to his wife, and with her becomes one flesh.
25. Both the man and his wife were naked and were not ashamed.