1. For the leader; "upon the gittith." Of Asaph.
2. Sing joyfully to God our strength; shout in triumph to the God of Jacob!
3. Take up a melody, sound the timbrel, the sweet-sounding harp and lyre.
4. Blow the trumpet at the new moon, at the full moon, on our solemn feast.
5. For this is a law in Israel, an edict of the God of Jacob,
6. Who made it a decree for Joseph when he came out of the land of Egypt. II I hear a new oracle:
7. "I relieved their shoulders of the burden; their hands put down the basket.
8. In distress you called and I rescued you; unseen, I spoke to you in thunder; At the waters of Meribah I tested you and said: Selah
9. 'Listen, my people, I give you warning! If only you will obey me, Israel!
10. There must be no foreign god among you; you must not worship an alien god.
11. I, the LORD, am your God, who brought you up from the land of Egypt. Open wide your mouth that I may fill it.'
12. But my people did not listen to my words; Israel did not obey me.
13. So I gave them over to hardness of heart; they followed their own designs.
14. But even now if my people would listen, if Israel would walk in my paths,
15. In a moment I would subdue their foes, against their enemies unleash my hand.
16. Those who hate the LORD would tremble, their doom sealed forever.
17. But Israel I would feed with the finest wheat, satisfy them with honey from the rock."