1. Therefore let us leave the elementary teaching about Christ and move forward to a more advanced knowledge without laying again the foundation, that is: turning away from dead works, faith in God,
2. the teaching about baptisms and laying on of hands, the resurrection of the dead and the final judgment.
3. This is what we shall do, God permitting.
4. In any case, it would be impossible to renew again through penance those who have once been enlightened and have tasted the heavenly gift and received the Holy Spirit,
5. tasted the beauty of the word of God and the wonders of the supernatural world.
6. If in spite of this they have ceased to believe and have fallen away, it is impossible to move them a second time to repentance when they are crucifying, on their own account, the Son of God, and spurning him publicly.
7. Soil that drinks the rain falling continually on it and produces profitable grass for those who till it, receives the blessings of God,
8. but the soil that produces thorns and bushes is poor soil and in danger of being cursed. In the end it will be burned.
9. Yet even though we speak like this, we are more optimistic, dear friends, regarding you and your salvation.
10. God is not unjust and will not forget everything you have done for love of his name; you have helped and still help the believers.
11. We desire each of you to have, until the end, the same zeal for reaching what you have hoped for.
12. Do not grow careless but imitate those who, by their faith and determination, inherit the promise.
13. Remember God's promise to Abraham. God wanted to confirm it with an oath and, as no one is higher than God,
14. he swore by himself: I shall bless you and give you many descendants.
15. By just patiently waiting, Abraham obtained the promise.
16. People are used to swearing by someone higher than themselves and their oath affirms everything that could be denied.
17. So God committed himself with an oath in order to convince those who were to wait for his promise that he would never change his mind.
18. Thus we have two certainties in which it is impossible that God be proved false: promise and oath. That is enough to encourage us strongly when we leave everything to hold to the hope set before us.
19. This hope is like a spiritual anchor, secure and firm, thrust beyond the curtain of the Temple into the sanctuary itself,
20. where Jesus has entered ahead of us - Jesus, High Priest for ever in the order of Melchizedek.