1. [For the choirmaster Of David Psalm] I waited, I waited for Yahweh, then he stooped to me and heard my cry for help.
2. He pulled me up from the seething chasm, from the mud of the mire. He set my feet on rock, and made my footsteps firm.
3. He put a fresh song in my mouth, praise of our God. Many will be awestruck at the sight, and will put their trust in Yahweh.
4. How blessed are those who put their trust in Yahweh, who have not sided with rebels and those who have gone astray in falsehood.
5. How much you have done, Yahweh, my God -- your wonders, your plans for us -- you have no equal. I will proclaim and speak of them; they are beyond number.
6. You wanted no sacrifice or cereal offering, but you gave me an open ear, you did not ask for burnt offering or sacrifice for sin;
7. then I said, 'Here I am, I am coming.' In the scroll of the book it is written of me,
8. my delight is to do your will; your law, my God, is deep in my heart.
9. I proclaimed the saving justice of Yahweh in the great assembly. See, I will not hold my tongue, as you well know.
10. I have not kept your saving justice locked in the depths of my heart, but have spoken of your constancy and saving help. I have made no secret of your faithful and steadfast love, in the great assembly.
11. You, Yahweh, have not withheld your tenderness from me; your faithful and steadfast love will always guard me.
12. For troubles surround me, until they are beyond number; my sins have overtaken me; I cannot see my way. They outnumber the hairs of my head, and my heart fails me.
13. Be pleased, Yahweh, to rescue me, Yahweh, come quickly and help me!
14. Shame and dismay to all who seek to take my life. Back with them, let them be humiliated who delight in my misfortunes.
15. Let them be aghast with shame, those who say to me, 'Aha, aha!'
16. But joy and happiness in you to all who seek you! Let them ceaselessly cry, 'Great is Yahweh' who love your saving power.
17. Poor and needy as I am, the Lord has me in mind. You, my helper, my Saviour, my God, do not delay.