1. Come, let us return to Yahweh. He who shattered us to pieces, will heal us as well; he has struck us down, but he will bind up our wounds.
2. Two days later he will bring us back to life; on the third day, he will raise us up, and we shall live in his presence.
3. Let us strive to know Yahweh. His coming is as certain as the dawn;
4. O Ephraim, what shall I do with you? O Judah, how shall I deal with you? This love of yours is like morning mist, like morning dew that quickly disappears.
5. c his judgment will burst forth like the light; he will come to us as showers come, like spring rain that waters the earth.
5. This is why I smote you through the prophets, and have slain you by the words of my mouth.
6. For it is love that I desire, not sacrifice; it is knowledge of God, not burnt offerings.
7. At Adam they broke my covenant; there they were unfaithful to me.
8. Gilead is a city of evildoers, stained with footprints of blood.
9. Like thieves in an ambush, so are the priests; they murder on the road to Shechem and commit adultery.
10. In Bethel I saw their disgraceful conduct; that is where Ephraim played the harlot and was defiled.
11. (For you, too, Judah, I have a harvest stored when I bring back my captive people and heal Israel.)