1. The man brought me back to the entrance of the Temple and I saw water coming out from the threshold of the Temple and flowing eastwards. The Temple faced the east and the water flowed from the south side of the Temple, from the south side of the altar.
2. He then brought me out through the north gate and led me around the outside to the outer gate facing the east and there I saw the stream coming from the south side.
3. The man had a measuring cord in his hand. As he went towards the east he measured off a thousand cubits and led me across the water which was up to my ankles.
4. He measured off another thousand cubits and made me cross the water which came to my knees. He measured off another thousand cubits and we crossed the water which was up to my waist.
5. When he had again measured a thousand cubits, I could not cross the torrent for it had swollen to a depth which was impossible to cross without swimming.
6. The man then said to me, "Son of man, did you see?" He led me on further and then brought me back to the bank of the river.
7. There I saw a number of trees on both sides of the river.
8. He said to me, "This water goes to the east, down to the Arabah, and when it flows into the sea of foul-smelling water, the water will become wholesome.
9. Wherever the river flows, swarms of creatures will live in it; fish will be plentiful and the sea water will become fresh. Wherever it flows, life will abound.
10. Fishermen will stand on the banks and spread nets from En Gedi to En Eglaim. Fish of many kinds will be found there, like the fish of the open sea and very plentiful.
11. The swamps and the marshes will not become wholesome; they will be used as saltbeds.
12. Near the river on both banks there will be all kinds of fruit trees with foliage that will not wither and fruit that will never fail; each month they will bear a fresh crop because the water comes from the Temple. The fruit will be good to eat and the leaves will be used for healing.
13. Yahweh says this: Here are the boundaries of the territories to be allotted between the twelve tribes of Israel, with two portions for Joseph.
14. You must share it out equally between you, since I swore to your fathers that I would give them this land which now falls to you as your inheritance.
15. Here are the frontiers of the land. On the north, from the Great Sea by the way of Hethlon to the Pass of Hamath and on to Zedad,
16. Berothah, Sibraim lying between the territories of Damascus and Hamath - and to Hazer-hatticon on the borders of Hauran.
17. The frontier will extend from the sea to Hazar-enon, marching with Damascus and Hamath on the north; this is the northern frontier.
18. On the east the Jordan will serve as frontier between Hauran and Damascus, between Gilead and the land of Israel, down to the Eastern Sea as far as Tamar; this is for the eastern frontier.
19. On the south, from Tamar southward to the waters of Meribah in Kadesh, to the torrent of Egypt and the Great Sea; this is for the southern frontier.
20. On the west the Great Sea will serve as frontier straight up towards Hamath; so much for the western frontier.
21. You are to share out this land among yourselves, between the tribes of Israel.
22. You are to divide it into inheritances for yourselves and the aliens settled among you who have had children among you, since you are to treat them as citizens of Israel. They are to draw lots with you for their inheritance, with the tribes of Israel.
23. You must give the alien his inheritance in the tribe in which he is living - it is Yahweh who speaks.