0. To the choirmaster: according to Shushan Eduth. A Miktam of David; for instruction; when he strove with Aram-naharaim and with Aram-zobah, and when Joab on his return killed twelve thousand of Edom in the Valley of Salt.
1. O God, thou hast rejected us, broken our defenses; thou hast been angry; oh, restore us.
2. Thou hast made the land to quake, thou hast rent it open; repair its breaches, for it totters.
3. Thou hast made thy people suffer hard things; thou hast given us wine to drink that made us reel.
4. Thou hast set up a banner for those who fear thee, to rally to it from the bow. [Selah]
5. That thy beloved may be delivered, give victory by thy right hand and answer us!
6. God has spoken in his sanctuary: "With exultation I will divide up Shechem and portion out the Vale of Succoth.
7. Gilead is mine; Manas'seh is mine; E'phraim is my helmet; Judah is my scepter.
8. Moab is my washbasin; upon Edom I cast my shoe; over Philistia I shout in triumph."
9. Who will bring me to the fortified city? Who will lead me to Edom?
10. Hast thou not rejected us, O God? Thou dost not go forth, O God, with our armies.
11. O grant us help against the foe, for vain is the help of man!
12. With God we shall do valiantly; it is he who will tread down our foes.