1. The word of Yahweh concerning drought came to Jeremiah:
2. Judah mourns, the cities languish, desolate, they sink to the ground. From Jerusalem a cry is heard.
3. The rich sent the poor for water, but they found none at the cisterns, and returned with empty vessels.
4. The soil is cracked because there is no rain in the land; the farmers are dismayed and have covered their heads like mourners.
5. Even the doe in the fields abandons her newborn calf because there is no pasture.
6. The wild donkeys stand on the heights sniffing the air like jackals and languish as they find not even a thistle!
7. Even if our faults accuse us, you Yahweh, work for the glory of your Name. In truth, many have been our rebellions and great is our sin against you.
8. O Yahweh! Hope of Israel, you who save in the time of distress, why are you as a stranger in this land, or like a traveler who stays only a night?
9. Why should you be as if bewildered, like a warrior unable to save? But you are in our midst Yahweh, and on us your Name has been invoked. Do not abandon us!
10. This is what Yahweh says about this people, "They like to wander here and there, not stopping for a moment, so Yahweh takes no pleasure in them; he remembers their wickedness and will punish their sins."
11. And Yahweh said, "Do not pray for the well-being of this people!
12. If they fast I will not listen to their cry; if they offer me burnt offerings and oblations, I will not accept them. Instead I am going to make an end of them with sword, famine and plague."
13. And I said, "Ah, Lord Yahweh! You know what the prophets are saying to them: 'You will not see the sword nor suffer famine for I will give you true peace in this place.'"
14. But Yahweh said, "These prophets have proclaimed untruths in my name. I did not send them, nor did I command them or speak to them. False visions, worthless divinations and delusions of their own imagination - that is what they prophesy."
15. And Yahweh added, "These prophets whom I did not send and who prophesy in my name, saying that the sword and famine will not touch this land - these same prophets will perish by the sword and famine.
16. As for the people listening to them, their corpses will be thrown into the streets of Jerusalem. There will be no one to bury them or their wives, their sons or daughters, when they die of famine and by the sword. For I shall make their own malice fall upon them.
17. This you will say to them: Let my eyes shed tears night and day without ceasing! For with a great wound has the virgin daughter of my people been wounded, a most grievous wound.
18. If I go into the country, I see those slain by the sword. If I enter the city I see the ravages of famine. For the prophet and the priest did not understand what was happening in the land."
19. Have you then rejected Judah forever? Do you abhor Zion? Why have you wounded us and left us with no hope of recovery? We hoped for salvation but received nothing good; we waited for healing, but terror came!
20. Yahweh, we know our wickedness and that of our fathers, and the times we have sinned against you.
21. For your name's sake do not despise us; do not dishonor the throne of your glory. Remember us. Do not break your covenant with us!
22. Among the worthless idols of the nations, are there any who can bring rain, or make the skies send showers? Only in you, Yahweh our God, do we hope, for it is you who do all this.