1. An oracle. These are the words that Yahweh directed to Israel through Malachi.
2. When Yahweh says, "I love you," you reply, "How do you show that love?" So Yahweh asks you,
3. "Was Esau not Jacob's brother? Yet I loved Jacob and hated Esau. See how I left his mountains desolate and abandoned his land to the jackals of the desert.
4. If Edom decides to rebuild its ruins, after having been destroyed, Yahweh of hosts says: They may rebuild, but I will demolish. You will call them: 'Accursed country' and 'Nation with which Yahweh is forever displeased.'
5. You will see this with your own eyes, then you will exclaim: The power of Yahweh goes beyond the borders of Israel."
6. The son honors his father, the servant respects his master. Now if I am a father, where is the honor due to me? If I am your master, where is your respect for me? This is what Yahweh of hosts wants you to know, priests who despise his name. But you will only ask: How have we despised your name?
7. You present defiled foods on my altar, yet you say: How did we defile you? You think that my table does not deserve respect.
8. When you bring a blind animal as a sacrifice, or when you present one that is lame or sick, are you not doing wrong? Go, present these to the governor; will he be pleased and receive you well?" says Yahweh of hosts.
9. So now, ask God that he may have mercy on us. But if it goes badly for us because of your sin, are you those who should entreat him?
10. Who among you would close my doors that you may no longer come to kindle fire upon my altar in vain? I am not pleased with you, says Yahweh of hosts, nor am I pleased with your offerings.
11. See, from the rising of the sun to its setting, all the nations revere my Name and everywhere incense is offered to my Name as well as a pure offering. I am rightly esteemed among the nations, says Yahweh of hosts.
12. But you despise my Name when you say: "The Lord's table is dirty and his food is good for nothing."
13. When you complain that you do not like this food you despise me, says Yahweh. You bring a stolen animal, lame or diseased, to offer to me in sacrifice. Do you think that I will accept it?
14. Cursed be the cheater who, after promising me a bull from his herd, sacrifices a stunted animal. For I am a great King and my Name is respected through all the nations, says Yahweh of hosts.