1. After the death of Moses, Yahweh spoke to Joshua, the son of Nun and the minister of Moses, and said to him:
2. "My servant Moses is dead; therefore, the hour has come for you to cross the Jordan River, and all the people shall go with you to the land which I give to the sons of Israel.
3. I give you all the places where you set your feet, as I promised Moses.
4. Your frontiers will extend from the mountain of Lebanon in the north, to the desert in the south, as far as the great Euphrates in the east and the Great Sea in the west.
5. As long as you live, no one will be able to stand against you. I will be with you as I was with Moses. I will not leave you or abandon you.
6. Be valiant and have courage for I will give this people the land I swore to their fathers I would give them.
7. Therefore, be brave and faithfully fulfill the whole Law which Moses, my servant, gave you. Do not turn aside from it either to the right or to the left, and you shall succeed wherever you go.
8. Constantly read the book of this Law and meditate on it day and night that you may truly do what it says. So shall your plans be fulfilled and you shall succeed in everything.
9. It is I who command you; be strong, then, and be valiant. Do not tremble or be afraid, because Yahweh, your God, is with you wherever you go."
10. Joshua ordered the secretaries of the people:
11. "Pass through the camp and give this command: 'Store up enough food for, in three days' time, you shall cross the Jordan and enter the land which Yahweh, your God, will give you'."
12. To the people of the tribes of Reuben and Gad and to half of the tribe of Manasseh, Joshua said,
13. "Remember the command of Moses, the servant of Yahweh; Yahweh has provided you with a place of rest and has given you all this region.
14. The women and children, as well as the livestock, shall remain on this side of the Jordan, in the region which Moses gave you; but you who are valiant shall cross over, armed, ahead of your brothers and shall help them
15. until Yahweh gives them rest, as he has given you, that they may also conquer the land which Yahweh, our God, gives them. So you shall return to the region which Moses gave us and take possession of that land at the east of the Jordan."
16. They answered Joshua: "We will do all you have commanded us and go wherever you send us. Just as we have obeyed Moses, so shall we obey you in the same way.
17. May Yahweh, your God, be with you as he was with Moses.
18. He who contradicts your words and disobeys your orders shall die. But be valiant and courageous."