1. Woe to the rebellious, the defiled, the city that oppresses.
2. She did not pay attention to the call nor accept the correction; she did not trust Yahweh nor did she approach her God.
3. Her kings are like roaring lions, her rulers like evening wolves that do not leave even a bone for the next day.
4. Her prophets are blabbermouths and treacherous people; her priests defile whatever is sacred with no respect for the Law.
5. However, Yahweh the Just one is in her midst; he never commits injustice. Every morning he says what must be done; but the unjust do not even feel ashamed.
6. I have wiped out the nations, demolished their watchtowers, left their streets abandoned, and no one walks in them; their cities have been leveled, and no one lives there.
7. I thought: "If you took into account my correction" I said: "she will not forget my threats." But you were eager to behave still more corruptly.
8. Therefore, wait for me, says Yahweh, for the day when I come to accuse, when I have the nations gathered and the kingdoms assembled to vent my wrath on you with all the fury of my anger. Then the fire of my jealous wrath will burn the whole land.
9. At that time I will give truthful lips to the pagan nations that all of them may call on the name of Yahweh and serve him with the same zeal.
10. From beyond the rivers of Ethiopia they will bring offerings to me.
11. On that day you will no longer be ashamed of all your deeds when you were unfaithful to me; I will have removed from your midst the conceited and arrogant and my holy mountain will no longer be for you a pretext for boasting.
12. I will leave within you a poor and meek people who seek refuge in God.
13. The remnant of Israel will not act unjustly nor will they speak falsely, nor will deceitful words be found in their mouths. They will eat and rest with none to threaten them.
14. Cry out with joy, O daughter of Zion; rejoice, O people of Israel! Sing joyfully with all your heart, daughter of Jerusalem!
15. Yahweh has lifted your sentence and has driven your enemies away. Yahweh, the King of Israel is with you; do not fear any misfortune.
16. On that day they will say to Jerusalem: Do not be afraid nor let your hands tremble,
17. for Yahweh your God is within you, Yahweh, saving warrior. He will jump for joy on seeing you, for he has revived his love. For you he will cry out with joy, as you do in the days of the Feast.
18. I will drive away the evil I warned you about, and you will no longer be shamed.
19. On that day I will face your oppressors; I will save the lame sheep and bring the lost back into the fold. I will give them renown and honor in all the lands where humiliation was your lot.
20. On that day I will be good to you and gather you to make you famous and honorable among all the peoples of the earth, when I bring back the captives before your eyes, - this is Yahweh's word.