1. Tobias spoke to Tobit, "Father, I shall do everything you have asked.
2. But how can I get the money from this man. He does not know me and I do not know him. What proof of identity shall I give him to make him trust me and give me the money? Also, I do not know the way to Media."
3. Tobit gave Tobias a receipt and said to him, "My son, find a trustworthy man to go with you, and on your return I shall give him a salary until he dies. When you reach Rages, collect the money from the man Gabael."
4. Tobias went to look for a man and he found Raphael. Raphael was an angel but Tobias did not know it.
5. Tobias said to Raphael, "Can you go with me to Rages in Media? Do you know the place?"
6. The angel said to Tobias, "I will go with you. I know the way and I have even spent a night with your kinsman, Gabael."
7. Tobias said to Raphael, "Wait for me. I am going to speak to my father. I want you to come with me to Media and I will pay you."
8. Raphael said to Tobias, "Go, but do not delay."
9. Tobias went in and said to his father, "I have found the man who will go with me." His father said, "Bring this man to me. I want to know the name of his tribe. I want to know if I can trust him to go with you." Tobias went out and called Raphael. Tobias said to Raphael, "Young man, my father wants to see you."
10. Raphael entered the house and approached Tobit.
11. Tobit said to him, "Friend, what is the name of your tribe and of your family? Tell me."
12. Raphael said to him, "Are you looking for a tribe and a family or for a hired man to go with your son?" Tobit said to him, "Friend, I want to know your tribe and your name."
13. Raphael said, "I am Azarias, the son of Ananias the Great, one of your kinsmen."
14. Tobit said to him, "Welcome, my brother! Do not be angry with me because I have tried to find out the name of your tribe and your family, for now I find that you are my kinsman, that you come from a noble and good family. Indeed, I knew Ananias and Nathan, sons of Semaiah the Great. We used to travel together to worship in the city of Jerusalem and bring the firstborn of our sheep, and a tithe of our produce. They did not adopt pagan practices when other countrymen went astray. My friend, you come of good stock.
15. But tell me what salary should I give you, a drachma a day, and whatever is necessary for you as well as for my son?
16. I shall give you something over and above if you return in safety." They settled on that. Raphael said to Tobit, "I will go with him. Do not be afraid. We shall set out in safety and return to you in safety, because I am sure of the way."
17. Then Tobit called his son Tobias and said to him, "My child, prepare what is necessary for the journey and set out with your friend. May the God of Heaven protect you on your way and may he bring you back to me in safety. May his angel go with you on the way." Then Tobias prepared to leave. He kissed his father and mother and Tobit said to Tobias, "Safe journey!"
18. The two companions were setting off and Tobias' dog followed him when Anna, the mother of Tobias, burst into tears and said to Tobit, "Why have you sent away our child? Is he not our support as he comes and goes?"
19. Anna said, "What use is it to add money to money? Better we save our son's life.
20. Is not what God has provided for us enough to live on?"
21. Tobit said to her, "Don't get upset, my sister. He will return in safety. You will see him again.
22. Indeed a good angel will go with him; he will have a successful journey and he will return in safety."