1. It was the fifteenth year of the rule of the Emperor Tiberius; Pontius Pilatus was governor of Judea; Herod ruled over Galilee, his brother Philip ruled over the country of Iturea and Trachonitis, and Lysanias over Abilene.
2. Annas and Caiaphas were the High Priests at that time when the word of God came to John, the son of Zechariah in the desert.
3. John proclaimed a baptism for repentant people to obtain forgiveness of sins and he went through the whole country bordering the Jordan River.
4. It was just as is written in the book of the prophet Isaiah: listen to this voice crying out in the desert: prepare the way of the Lord, make his path straight.
5. The valleys will be filled and the mountains and hills made low. Everything crooked will be made straight and the rough paths smooth;
6. and every mortal will see the salvation of God.
7. John said to the crowds who came out to be baptized by him, "You brood of vipers! How will you escape when divine punishment comes?
8. Produce now the fruits of a true change of heart, and do not deceive yourselves by saying: 'Abraham is our ancestor!.' For I tell you, God can make children of Abraham from these stones.
9. The axe is already laid to the root of the tree and every tree that fails to produce good fruit will be cut down and thrown into the fire."
10. The people asked him, "What are we to do?"
11. And John answered, "If you have two coats, give one to the person who has none; and if you have food, do the same."
12. Even tax collectors came to be baptized and asked him, "Master, what must we do?"
13. John said to them, "Collect no more than your fixed rate."
14. People serving as soldiers asked John, "What about us? What are we to do?" And he answered, "Don't take anything by force or threaten the people by denouncing them falsely. Be content with your pay."
15. The people were wondering about John's identity, "Could he be the Messiah?"
16. Then John answered them, "I baptize you with water, but the one who is coming will do much more: he will baptize you with Holy Spirit and fire. As for me, I am not worthy to untie his sandal.
17. He comes with a winnowing fan to clear his threshing floor and gather the grain into his barn. But the chaff he will burn with fire that never goes out."
18. With these and many other words John announced the Good News to the people
19. until Herod had him put in prison. For John reproached Herod for living with Herodias, his brother's wife, and for his evil deeds.
20. Then Herod added another crime to all the rest he had committed: he put John in prison.
21. Now, with all the people who came to be baptized, Jesus too was baptized. Then, while he was praying, the heavens opened:
22. the Holy Spirit came down upon him in the bodily form of a dove and a voice from heaven was heard, "You are my Son, this day I have begotten you."
23. When Jesus made his appearance, he had reached the age of thirty years. He was known as the son of Joseph, whose father and forefathers were: Heli,
24. Matthat, Levi, Melchi, Jannai, Joseph,
25. Matthathias, Amos, Nahum, Esli, Naggai,
26. Maath, Mattathias, Semein, Josech, Joda,
27. Joanan, Rhesa, Zerubbabel, Shealtiel, Neri,
28. Melchi, Addi, Cosam, Elmadam, Er,
29. Joshua, Eliezer, Jorim, Matthat, Levi,
30. Simeon, Judah, Joseph, Jonam, Eliakim,
31. Melea, Menna, Mattatha, Nathan, David,
32. Jesse, Obed, Boaz, Salmon, Nahson,
33. Amminadab, Adnim, Arni, Hezron, Perez, Judah,
34. Jacob, Isaac, Abraham, Terah, Nahor,
35. Serug, Reu, Peleg, Eber, Shelah,
36. Cainan, Arphaxad, Shem, Noah, Lamech,
37. Methuselah, Enoch, Jared, Malaleel, Cainan,
38. Enos, Seth, and Adam - who was from God.