1. I am the true vine and my Father is the vinegrower.
2. If any of my branches doesn't bear fruit, he breaks it off; and he prunes every branch that does bear fruit, that it may bear even more fruit.
3. You are already made clean by the word I have spoken to you;
4. live in me as I live in you. The branch cannot bear fruit by itself but has to remain part of the vine; so neither can you if you don't remain in me.
5. I am the vine and you are the branches. As long as you remain in me and I in you, you bear much fruit; but apart from me you can do nothing.
6. Whoever does not remain in me is thrown away as they do with branches and they wither. Then they are gathered and thrown into the fire and burned.
7. If you remain in me and my words in you, you may ask whatever you want and it will be given to you.
8. My Father is glorified when you bear much fruit: it is then that you become my disciples.
9. As the Father has loved me, so I have loved you; remain in my love.
10. You will remain in my love if you keep my commandments, just as I have kept my Father's commandments and remain in his love.
11. I have told you all this, that my own joy may be in you and your joy may be complete.
12. This is my commandment: love one another as I have loved you.
13. There is no greater love than this, to give one's life for one's friends;
14. and you are my friends if you do what I command you.
15. I shall not call you servants any more, because servants do not know what their master is about. Instead I have called you friends, since I have made known to you everything I learned from my Father.
16. You did not choose me; it was I who chose you and sent you to go and bear fruit, fruit that will last. And everything you ask the Father in my name, he will give you.
17. This is my command, that you love one another.
18. If the world hates you, remember that the world hated me before you.
19. This would not be so if you belonged to the world, because the world loves its own. But you are not of the world since I have chosen you from the world; because of this the world hates you.
20. Remember what I told you: the servant is not greater than his master; if they persecuted me, they will persecute you, too. Have they kept my teaching? Will they then keep yours?
21. All this they will do to you for the sake of my name because they do not know the One who sent me.
22. If I had not come to tell them, they would have no sin, but now they have no excuse for their sin.
23. Those who hate me hate my Father.
24. If I had not done among them what no one else has ever done, they would have no sin. But after they have seen all this, they hate me and my Father,
25. and the words written in their law become true: They hated me without cause.
26. From the Father, I will send you the Spirit of truth. When this Helper has come from the Father, he will be my witness,
27. and you, too, will be my witnesses for you have been with me from the beginning.