1. Ending her prayer on the third day, Esther took off her penitential garments and put on her royal attire.
2. Radiant in appearance after invoking the all-seeing God and Savior, she took her two maids with her,
3. and leaned gently on one of them for support,
4. while the other followed carrying her train.
5. Although her heart was frozen with fear, she looked radiant in her perfect beauty, her face depicting love and joy.
6. After passing through all the doors, she found herself face to face with the king seated on his throne, awe-inspiring in the full array of his majesty, his robes all covered with gold and precious stones.
7. As he looked up, his face flushed with majestic anger, the queen faltered, turned pale and leaned weakly upon the shoulder of the maid in front of her.
8. Then God changed the king's anger to gentleness. Alarmed, he sprang from his throne, took Esther in his arms until she had recovered and comforted her with soothing words.
9. "What is it, Esther?" he said. "I am your brother. Take heart.
10. You will not die, because our decree applies only to ordinary people.
11. Come, speak to me."
12. He raised the golden scepter, touched her neck with it, then embraced her saying, "Speak to me."
13. Esther spoke: "My lord, I saw you like an angel of God, and I trembled with fear before your majesty.
14. For you are admirable, my Lord, and your appearance is awesome although you are full of kindness."
15. But she fell fainting as she spoke.
16. The king was deeply distressed, and his attendants tried to revive her.