1. Job took up his theme anew and said;
2. Oh, that I were as in the months past! as in the days when God watched over me,
3. While he kept his lamp shining above my head, and by his light I walked through darkness;
4. As I was in my flourishing days, when God sheltered my tent;
5. When the Almighty was yet with me, and my children were round about me;
6. When my footsteps were bathed in milk, and the rock flowed with streams of oil;
7. When I went forth to the gate of the city and set up my seat in the square-
8. Then the young men saw me and withdrew, while the elders rose up and stood;
9. The chief men refrained from speaking and covered their mouths with their hands;
10. The voice of the princes was silenced, and their tongues stuck to the roofs of their mouths.
11. Whoever heard of me blessed me; those who saw me commended me.
12. For I rescued the poor who cried out for help, the orphans, and the unassisted;
13. The blessing of those in extremity came upon me, and the heart of the widow I made joyful.
14. I wore my honesty like a garment; justice was my robe and my turban.
15. I was eyes to the blind, and feet to the lame was I;
16. I was a father to the needy; the rights of the stranger I studied,
17. And I broke the jaws of the wicked man; from his teeth I forced the prey.
18. Then I said: "In my own nest I shall grow old; I shall multiply years like the phoenix.
19. My root is spread out to the waters; the dew rests by night on my branches.
20. My glory is fresh within me, and my bow is renewed in my hand!"
21. For me they listened and waited; they were silent for my counsel.
22. Once I spoke, they said no more, but received my pronouncement drop by drop.
23. They waited for me as for the rain; they drank in my words like the spring rains.
24. When I smiled on them they were reassured;
25. mourners took comfort from my cheerful glance. I chose out their way and presided; I took a king's place in the armed forces.