1. I do not want you to be unaware, brothers, that our ancestors were all under the cloud and all passed through the sea,
2. and all of them were baptized into Moses in the cloud and in the sea.
3. All ate the same spiritual food,
4. and all drank the same spiritual drink, for they drank from a spiritual rock that followed them, and the rock was the Christ.
5. Yet God was not pleased with most of them, for they were struck down in the desert.
6. These things happened as examples for us, so that we might not desire evil things, as they did.
7. And do not become idolaters, as some of them did, as it is written, "The people sat down to eat and drink, and rose up to revel."
8. Let us not indulge in immorality as some of them did, and twenty-three thousand fell within a single day.
9. Let us not test Christ as some of them did, and suffered death by serpents.
10. Do not grumble as some of them did, and suffered death by the destroyer.
11. These things happened to them as an example, and they have been written down as a warning to us, upon whom the end of the ages has come.
12. Therefore, whoever thinks he is standing secure should take care not to fall.
13. No trial has come to you but what is human. God is faithful and will not let you be tried beyond your strength; but with the trial he will also provide a way out, so that you may be able to bear it.
14. Therefore, my beloved, avoid idolatry.
15. I am speaking as to sensible people; judge for yourselves what I am saying.
16. The cup of blessing that we bless, is it not a participation in the blood of Christ? The bread that we break, is it not a participation in the body of Christ?
17. Because the loaf of bread is one, we, though many, are one body, for we all partake of the one loaf.
18. Look at Israel according to the flesh; are not those who eat the sacrifices participants in the altar?
19. So what am I saying? That meat sacrificed to idols is anything? Or that an idol is anything?
20. No, I mean that what they sacrifice, (they sacrifice) to demons, not to God, and I do not want you to become participants with demons.
21. You cannot drink the cup of the Lord and also the cup of demons. You cannot partake of the table of the Lord and of the table of demons.
22. Or are we provoking the Lord to jealous anger? Are we stronger than he?
23. "Everything is lawful," but not everything builds up.
24. No one should seek his own advantage, but that of his neighbor.
25. Eat anything sold in the market, without raising questions on grounds of conscience,
26. for "the earth and its fullness are the Lord's."
27. If an unbeliever invites you and you want to go, eat whatever is placed before you, without raising questions on grounds of conscience.
28. But if someone says to you, "This was offered in sacrifice," do not eat it on account of the one who called attention to it and on account of conscience;
29. I mean not your own conscience, but the other's. For why should my freedom be determined by someone else's conscience?
30. If I partake thankfully, why am I reviled for that over which I give thanks?
31. So whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do everything for the glory of God.
32. Avoid giving offense, whether to Jews or Greeks or the church of God,
33. just as I try to please everyone in every way, not seeking my own benefit but that of the many, that they may be saved.