1. Now when Jesus had finished these sayings, he went away from Galilee and entered the region of Judea beyond the Jordan;
2. and large crowds followed him, and he healed them there.
3. And Pharisees came up to him and tested him by asking, "Is it lawful to divorce one's wife for any cause?"
4. He answered, "Have you not read that he who made them from the beginning made them male and female,
5. and said, `For this reason a man shall leave his father and mother and be joined to his wife, and the two shall become one flesh'?
6. So they are no longer two but one flesh. What therefore God has joined together, let not man put asunder."
7. They said to him, "Why then did Moses command one to give a certificate of divorce, and to put her away?"
8. He said to them, "For your hardness of heart Moses allowed you to divorce your wives, but from the beginning it was not so.
9. And I say to you: whoever divorces his wife, except for unchastity, and marries another, commits adultery."
10. The disciples said to him, "If such is the case of a man with his wife, it is not expedient to marry."
11. But he said to them, "Not all men can receive this saying, but only those to whom it is given.
12. For there are eunuchs who have been so from birth, and there are eunuchs who have been made eunuchs by men, and there are eunuchs who have made themselves eunuchs for the sake of the kingdom of heaven. He who is able to receive this, let him receive it."
13. Then children were brought to him that he might lay his hands on them and pray. The disciples rebuked the people;
14. but Jesus said, "Let the children come to me, and do not hinder them; for to such belongs the kingdom of heaven."
15. And he laid his hands on them and went away.
16. And behold, one came up to him, saying, "Teacher, what good deed must I do, to have eternal life?"
17. And he said to him, "Why do you ask me about what is good? One there is who is good. If you would enter life, keep the commandments."
18. He said to him, "Which?" And Jesus said, "You shall not kill, You shall not commit adultery, You shall not steal, You shall not bear false witness,
19. Honor your father and mother, and, You shall love your neighbor as yourself."
20. The young man said to him, "All these I have observed; what do I still lack?"
21. Jesus said to him, "If you would be perfect, go, sell what you possess and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow me."
22. When the young man heard this he went away sorrowful; for he had great possessions.
23. And Jesus said to his disciples, "Truly, I say to you, it will be hard for a rich man to enter the kingdom of heaven.
24. Again I tell you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God."
25. When the disciples heard this they were greatly astonished, saying, "Who then can be saved?"
26. But Jesus looked at them and said to them, "With men this is impossible, but with God all things are possible."
27. Then Peter said in reply, "Lo, we have left everything and followed you. What then shall we have?"
28. Jesus said to them, "Truly, I say to you, in the new world, when the Son of man shall sit on his glorious throne, you who have followed me will also sit on twelve thrones, judging the twelve tribes of Israel.
29. And every one who has left houses or brothers or sisters or father or mother or children or lands, for my name's sake, will receive a hundredfold, and inherit eternal life.
30. But many that are first will be last, and the last first.