1. Now the Spirit expressly says that in later times some will depart from the faith by giving heed to deceitful spirits and doctrines of demons,
2. through the pretensions of liars whose consciences are seared,
3. who forbid marriage and enjoin abstinence from foods which God created to be received with thanksgiving by those who believe and know the truth.
4. For everything created by God is good, and nothing is to be rejected if it is received with thanksgiving;
5. for then it is consecrated by the word of God and prayer.
6. If you put these instructions before the brethren, you will be a good minister of Christ Jesus, nourished on the words of the faith and of the good doctrine which you have followed.
7. Have nothing to do with godless and silly myths. Train yourself in godliness;
8. for while bodily training is of some value, godliness is of value in every way, as it holds promise for the present life and also for the life to come.
9. The saying is sure and worthy of full acceptance.
10. For to this end we toil and strive, because we have our hope set on the living God, who is the Savior of all men, especially of those who believe.
11. Command and teach these things.
12. Let no one despise your youth, but set the believers an example in speech and conduct, in love, in faith, in purity.
13. Till I come, attend to the public reading of scripture, to preaching, to teaching.
14. Do not neglect the gift you have, which was given you by prophetic utterance when the council of elders laid their hands upon you.
15. Practice these duties, devote yourself to them, so that all may see your progress.
16. Take heed to yourself and to your teaching; hold to that, for by so doing you will save both yourself and your hearers.