1 Timothy, 4
1. The Spirit has explicitly said that during the last times some will desert the faith and pay attention to deceitful spirits and doctrines that come from devils,
2. seduced by the hypocrisy of liars whose consciences are branded as though with a red-hot iron:
3. they forbid marriage and prohibit foods which God created to be accepted with thanksgiving by all who believe and who know the truth.
4. Everything God has created is good, and no food is to be rejected, provided it is received with thanksgiving:
5. the word of God and prayer make it holy.
6. If you put all this to the brothers, you will be a good servant of Christ Jesus and show that you have really digested the teaching of the faith and the good doctrine which you have always followed.
7. Have nothing to do with godless myths and old wives' tales. Train yourself for religion.
8. Physical exercise is useful enough, but the usefulness of religion is unlimited, since it holds out promise both for life here and now and for the life to come;
9. that is a saying that you can rely on and nobody should doubt it.
10. I mean that the point of all our toiling and battling is that we have put our trust in the living God and he is the Saviour of the whole human race but particularly of all believers.
11. This is what you are to instruct and teach.
12. Let no one disregard you because you are young, but be an example to all the believers in the way you speak and behave, and in your love, your faith and your purity.
13. Until I arrive, devote yourself to reading to the people, encouraging and teaching.
14. You have in you a spiritual gift which was given to you when the prophets spoke and the body of elders laid their hands on you; do not neglect it.
15. Let this be your care and your occupation, and everyone will be able to see your progress.
16. Be conscientious about what you do and what you teach; persevere in this, and in this way you will save both yourself and those who listen to you.